Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Sep 2000 21:48:41 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Building Motor From 2.1 To 2.5

With all the talk of big motors and getting more horsepower--here is a copy of an old post from Tom Forhan about the 2.5 litre kit one can buy from Ahnendorp. With this kit, one can upgrade the motor in size from 2.1 litres to 2.5 for $3,225 at the current exchange rates, down from est. $4,705 back then. That is, assuming that Ahnendorp has not changed prices.

To research this issue further consult the archives for 1995 or 1996 for posts containing the word "Ahnendorp" or posts contianing the phrase "2.5 litre".

Also, with folks like Lilly around possibly we can deconstruct the kit to only those things we really need to get from Ahnendorp, while finding alternate sourcing for some of the pieces.

If you read the post below and the other posts, there is concern about the possible need for a different computer brain. It would seem that we have possibly solved that. The Mahle piston and Barrel Kit 98mm--not sure where one could get one of those but it seems credible that it would be obtainable at a less price somewhere.

Possibly we should do a group purchase! If we could get the price down, I bet you'd start to see lots of list takers.

I know a fellow that installed this kit. He owned a bike shop in the midwest, but sold his van to a young couple in the San Franciso area with a syncro. I called them by phone and they were unaware that their motor was oversize.

>Date: 18 Dec 1995 11:43:11 EST >Reply-To: <TFORHAN@HR.HOUSE.GOV> >From: "Tom Forhan" <TFORHAN@HR.HOUSE.GOV> >Subject: Non-Transplant: Prices of Ahnendorp Wasserboxer Mods >To: vanagon@LENTI.MED.UMN.EDU >Cc: drew@INTERPORT.NET, smitht@UNB.CA >Comment: MEMO 12/18/95 12:50:00 > > Recieved a fax from Germany this am: > > Prices for 2.5L Wasserboxer kit, this will suit the 92HP "SS" and > 95HP "MV" Engines. > > Stroker Crankshaft 82mm 2783DM > Piston and Barrel Kit 98mm 2748 > Head Seal Rings 80 > Camshaft 815 > Modify Distributor 350 > Total 6776DM > > Which works out to US$4705, plus shipping and duty, of course.

At the current exchange rate it would be $3,226 I believe.

> Also, the Digifant needs to be modified to supply fuel for this > additional displacement, and Ahnendorp does this on their own > dynamometer. The alternative for those on this side of the pond is > finding a knowlegable mechanic with a dynamometer (syncro owners, > it has to be a two axle dynamometer, of course), or buying an > aftermarket carburation system. You will have to work out your > own strategy with your local air quality office. > > How much power would this get you? I don't have the Ahnendorp > catalog yet, and don't know if he even makes any claims. But > with a 20% increase in displacement, plus a cam (!), > and certainly with this work you'd also follow Bob Hoovers > Sermons (tm) on free horsepower, maybe you would see at least a 30% > increase in HP, to something like 125. > > This strategy will eat up most of the $6000 you were > saving for that splittie project you've been thinking about. Or > you could invest in a Subaru engine, Kennedy Engineering adapters, > and still be able to start the splittie project, if not trick it out. > $6000 also brings you more than half way to the MSDS 911 conversion, > if you want real power and it has to be German. > > More on the continuing saga later... > > Tom F. > 90 Syncro Westie > 87 Syncro GL > 90 Audi 200 TQW IA Stage I

_______________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY CEO & Co-Founder http://www.ConsumerSearch.com/ 80 South Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10038 derekdrew@rcn.com 212-580-6486

Alternate numbers for the industrious phone caller that wants to try every avenue: 917-848-6425 (cell); 202-966-7907 (Work), 212-580-4459 (Home), 202-966-0938 (Home), 978-359-8533 (fax [efax]), 212-269-3428 (Seaport office), 212-269-3188 (Seaport main number).