Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Sep 2000 11:48:20 -0700
From:         PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET>
Subject:      Could be Road Kill

History: Bought '85 4-speed last fall. Cutting out problem evident. Always the optomist, changed the gas filter. Next, my (then) mechanic swapped a small, inexpensive part ( fuel relay or some such). No help. Next, new AFM installed (this decision pre-List days!). For four months no problema. Then, while still driving in Mexico, the trouble reared its ugly head again.

Yes, the van starts right up afterward. But-- Picture this: Two lane Mexican highway, no shoulder, two foot dropoff. Big rigs both directions. Van cuts out, dead in the road, & nowhere to go, bulging eyes glued to the rear view mirror as Big rig bears down on me.

Picture this: Four lane Mexican highway, highspeed Big rigs both directions. I stay to the right, but find myself stuck behind an '46 International dump truck overladed with rip rap, belching black smoke & moving exactly 5 miles per hour. I see my chance. I pull out, but just as I'm neck & neck with the dump truck, the macho coyboy riding the 18 wheeler, sixpack of Pacifico jammed between his knees & hellbent for Sinaloa rides up my ass, horn blaring. Van cuts out. Another road kill destined for a Big rigs cow catcher.' Folks, this is no joke!

Lots of you believe the wiring harness is my solution. I am thinking it over. Mean time, the van's due for some well-deserved front end work, cooland flushing & new hoses, & then, budget permitting, maybe new brakes & batteries. Then I will make my move on this harness idea. Otherwise, I don't know if my nerves will survive another winter south of the border. The fact that she starts right up after cutting out is little consolation. The question is, will I? I bow to the collective wisdom of The List. Phaedra '85/4-speed Westy Wolf