Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Sep 2000 14:12:29 -0700
From:         Ken Wyatt <kokopellis@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Vanagons At Burning Man 2000 (Long ramblings)

Hi all, PRE TRIP PREPPING I actually managed to get all my fuel lines, injector seals, vacuum leaks, replaced stabilizer links and bushings and other miscellaneous items fixed or replaced on the 521bus in time to make the trek to the burn. Thanks to TBD and Camelback most critical parts arrived in time. I ended up using two old stabilizer link bushings on the bottom of each side. Now the new ones are here so I plan to install soon.

Of note on VACUUM SYSTEMS, When I was working on my engine prior to our trip, While replacing the fuel lines, injector seals, throttle valve and a tune up, valve cover leak and generally cleaning the engine, I pulled off most of the vacuum lines. I found a 90 degree rubber vacuum boot on the aux. air regulator had a significant crack in it on the bottom side of the elbow. (You can't see it from casual inspection) It was allowing dust and unfiltered air into the system and losing vacuum. No wonder I was having acceleration problems. I sealed it temporarily with high temp silicon. The same type of cracks were observed forming on the air intake boot. I've since ordered both new. When you do your fuel lines, don't forget the vacuum lines and connections. These hoses & boots on our vans are old, cracked and brittle also just like the fuel lines. I figure mine are close to 20 years old.

TRAVEL TO THE MAN We left Salt Lake City Tuesday (8/29) night about 10:00 PM and drove late (3 AM) into the night finally sleeping along I-80 near Winnemucca, NV. (it was a rest area, but we had 2 vehicles and 3 people, and it was only from 3 AM - 6 AM) No gun, no dogs, no problem.

We made the final leg of the journey into Black Rock City uneventfully on Weds morning, meeting a fellow vanagonaut at the gate at exactly 1:30 PM as planned. She was almost late as she had to stop and buy her westy new 6 ply tires in Reno. (I told her about the wrong tires a long time ago when she bought the van.) The mountains in California had worn out her other ones.

BLACK ROCK CITY For those who don't know, Black Rock City is a temporary city that forms each year prior to Labor Day when thousands of fun seeking people come to Burningman. It is located in the Black Rock Desert, Nevada (place of land speed records) about 100 miles N-NE of Reno. Essentially it is dry lake bed. Absolutely flat for miles & miles, vegetation density is zero (No vegetation), and alkali salts exude from the soil. There is no vending here, noting for sale except coffee, tea, ice, maybe a few other little edibles or liquids. No advertisements, no commercial crap. You are supposed to bring everything you need to survive.

Why would one venture to such a desolate dusty place? For the Burningman, TO SEE THE MAN BURN of course, and a myriad of other amazing talents, music and art, art cars, you name it. Historically almost anything goes as long as you don't infringe on others. This year there was a change with a significant police presence. They were cracking down on drugs and sex other public infringements. I think 50 people out of almost 26,000 were arrested Less than 0.2%. It was a peaceful crowd except for the fire toys.

CAMP Our camp was set up along the NW side of the city on Knee and about 7:45. Black Rock City's streets were named after body parts since the body was a central theme to this years major art installations. Circular streets are concentric from the center of the city with names like Head Way (inner most street), Brain Boulevard, Throat Road, Avenue of the Heart, Gut Alley, Sex Drive, Anal Avenue, Knee Lane, and Feet Street (outer most street). Radial streets are named after time on a clock. 4:00, 4:30. Makes perfect sense and you can't get lost.

Yes the dust storms were intense. I've since washed the 521bus twice and still it shines of white alkali talc. The inside is quite dusty. (Who says western vans don't get used and abused by salts) Time for a thorough wash, polish and wax. There were hundreds of vanagons camped everywhere you looked. I saw a double vanagon stretch westfalia, NOW WHO OWNS THAT ONE?? It didn't look like Ottmar's from previous years but maybe it was painted. It was awesome.

We constructed a parachute PVC pipe dome structure for shade which ended up serving as shelter from the dust and wind storms. The vans were parked circling the dome. It held up nice in very high winds although the dust eventually wins so don't fight it.

GETTING AROUND If you were there maybe you saw us. We had the bike towing an olive green collapsible medical gurney with a table fastened on top and chairs attached to the table. We cruised all over the playa pulled by one peddler with one or two people on the cart and a cooler of our favorite brewskis to stay cool which wasn't difficult this year. A great way to see it all and not get worn out. I pedaled my share. Next year I think we'll install trap doors to the table which open to ice and a liquor cabinet. We'll be the rolling bar, Margaritaville.

The burn was fun. The weather was not hot as in previous years. Much more winds and unstable weather throughout the week. Days were pleasant and nights were cool-cold. A great time had by all. There was some incredible things to see, and some gross things. Most of the fire activities occur in the dark of night for full effect. It helps if you can stay awake all night or at least into the wee hours.

I particularly liked the copper HEART when it was stoked full of wood and burned. Flames were shooting out of all of the arteries and veins. it was alive.

The FACE was nice when liquid flame rolled out of the eyes tear ducts, crying liquid fire.

Did anyone catch the PROPANE FLUTE, it was out late on Sunday. It was mounted on a silver art car, the flute was tilted skyward and the artist played a remote keyboard which opened closed valves on the flute, each shooting flames and carrying a different note as propane was being burned in the night sky.

HUMAN FOOSEBALL was fun and the 100 yard long BATIK BANNER was beautiful.

DR. MEGAVOLT was there, the human tesla coil. That is pretty amazing also. Two 10 foot tesla coils mounted a on top of a moving van. Sparks fly all around and Dr. Megavolt interacts as he wears his steel suit. Don't believe, checkout: http://www.drmegavolt.com There's even a video stream.

The huge SMOKE RINGS were cool to watch. We watched those for an hour one day. Napalm was injected into a flame which sent huge circular smoke rings hundreds of feet into the air before dissipating.

The homeward journey took 12 hours, leaving Labor Day morning and arriving safely in SLC late that evening. It was an arduous drive across Nevada with high cross winds. Total trip round-trip was about 1150 miles. Didn't track MPG but each fill was slightly under 20 MPG. We drove mostly 60 - 65 MPH, watching oil temps all the way. The van ran flawlessly which is good as I had had much the engine torn apart the week prior. Remember to check your vacuum fittings.

Have a good one. Ken 82 westy