Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Sep 2000 07:37:04 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Headlight buzzer
Comments: To: Geoff Wilke <gwilke@LIVEMUSIC.ORG>

> I like the idea of driving with my headlights on, however sometimes I forget > to turn them off during the daylight hours. Does anyone figured out how to > hook them up to the warning buzzer that comes on when the keys are in the > ignition so that I can get a reminder? Thanks.

Geoff,

Actually, I removed the key on warning buzzer relay... drove me nutz...

But I did put in a headlight warning buzzer. There are several ways you can do this. I got a Piezo Buzzer at Radio Shack (about $3) .... connected the + side of it between my parking light wire that runs between the headlight switch and the main fuse panel and the other side to the wire that runs between the two front door pin switches (I think it is black and is found at the forward part of the under dash space) that control the dome light. With this set up it only buzzes after I open one of the doors as the pin switches then make a ground. I didn't want the buzzer to sound when the ignition was turned off because sometimes I want the lights on with the igition off.... but if that is not a requirement you could also wire the Piezo between the headlight wire (or parking light wire) and the ignition wire.... when the ignition is turned off it acts as a ground. One last thing... the piezo must be wired with + to one lead and - to the other as marked; it is not reversable if you want to get sound out of it.

Make sure you know what you're hooking into BEFORE cutting wires... use a mulitmeter and the Bentley wiring diagram to identify... and make good SAFE connections.

Good Luck,

Bill