Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:35:46 EDT
From:         Ron Semko <Skyraider0113@CS.COM>
Subject:      Re: how many people drive vw as daily driver
Comments: To: Tintman@home.com

I drive a 1984 Vanagon as a daily driver, and have for over 4 years.

During that time the only major work I have done is to rebuild the Transmission. I purchased the Van with about 180,000 miles on it, and since then I have but over 100,000 miles on. I assume that the engine was rebuilt before I bought it, but that is just an assumption, based on the fact that it runs as good as the day I bought it (actually better).I have done some minor repaires through the years. Repacked (not replaced) the cv joints and wheel bearings, and replaced the water pump, and replaced the radiator, and other normal maintenance.

For over a year of it's ownership I drove the Van from Orlando, Florida to Macon, Ga. and back every week. It was my job, and it never once let me down. I have just returned from a trip to Dallas, Texas, and back to Orlando, Florida. The Vanagon just trucked right on down the road. I'm leaving on Tues to go back to Dallas, and I have no fear of climbing back on board and going.

I'd like to say that I truely love the Vanagon. When I first aquired the Van there was much that I did not know and/or understand about it. But with the help of this list and the Bently (Factory Repair Manual), and some plain ole fashioned "think before you act" philosophy I have found that what many complain about is simply thier own misunderstandings and/or lack of proper care of the Vanagon. The cooling system can be intimidating. It was for me at first. But after I comprehended it, bled the air out of it, and accepted that I have to use the proper coolant, guess what? No more problems. Another problem area were the electrical grounds. I read time and again on the list "check the grounds", and the list was right.

For a 16 year old vehicle, with around 280,000 on the clock I would say that the designers of the Vanagon did an exceptional job. I have considered the engine swap, would be nice to have a little more power, but then again it really wasn't built for the Land Speed Record, was it? I have solved the a/c problem with an RV roof air, and portable generator (now I'm very cool).

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me, or the list.

Ron Semko Orlando, Florida