Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Sep 2000 00:22:38 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Half Lilley?
Comments: To: wdavidson@thegrid.net

Step one: BOLT ON Tune up- ALL FI parts working Engine in good running condition K&N airfilter Quad tip plugs Quality synthetic oil for engine and tranny

ADD Two: Bolt on

Free'er flowing muffler ECU chip (If Digifant and 022D ECU) Sand smooth the inside of the throttle body (mine was rough) This minimizes turbulence through TB and provides a better seal butterfly valve. (Ken, that is why my idle screw was out further than normal)

ADD Three: Valve cover removal

Ratio 1.3 rocker arms Solid rocker arms Swivel valve adjusting screws. Cromoly push rods Cut to fit. Match stock push rod length. Match port the intake runners to the intake port. Check exhaust that all pipes have no overlap at joints. Use finned aluminum clip on T1 valve covers

ADD Four: HEAD Removal

Heads: clean up ports to eliminate restrictions keep rest stock

ADD Five: HEAD Removal

Cromoly retainers and racing valve locks 3 angle valve job on seats and two angle on valves Ceramic coating on sealing surface only ADD on the exhaust pipes, combustion chamber, exhaust valve, exhaust port

Add Six: Case Split

Add counterweights to stock crank Full balance of all rotating parts as a unit with pressure plate (If in budget get two PP balanced so the new one will be balanced to engine) Add racing crank spacer Lighten flywheel 3 lb.lbs ONLY IF counterweights are added Add racing clutch bolts REBUILD 2.1L rods WITH NEW 1.9L BOLTS ONLY

Add Seven: Case Split ADD performance cam ONLY if adding ratio rockers (the increase overlap makes the engine lazy on the low end, but the ratio rockers counter that effect by increasing low end torque AND LIGHTER PUSH RODS) ADD low friction coating to pistons

ADD eight: Case Split Match port the oil pump inlet and outlet to the case and radius the inside of the inlet and outlet.

ADD .457 SA five speed tranny for an overdrive 5th gear.

Good VW shop that deal with performance T1 engines could build the WBX engine similar to what I did easily. After all, they do what I did and MUCH more to racing engines.

When you look at what I really did was to make changes to two main parts crank and cam. The rest I replaced stock parts with better after market parts. The rest was just attention to details.

What you choose to do depends on your budget

Robert

**If I think of others items I missed, I post to those interested.