Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:52:02 -0400
From:         Puzerewski <Puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: scammed? Idle stabilizer
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

I feel the same way Ken does sometimes. I am a decent "shade tree" mechanic, and have some parts, and partsmobiles for sale.

Often times, a person will email, call, etc. for a part that I have which involves a great deal of labor to remove, and the y will offer something like $25...........The part new is worth $200, and it is going to take me a couple hours work to remove.............I am not an idiot, my time is valuable to me........often times the reply I get is that I am ripping them off or something to that effect.

I cannot count the number of times I have pulled a part when "the check is in the mail" only to never have the check arrive....thank goodness I never send the part until I get the check.

My local vw mechanic ( that I have became friends with) and I were talking the other day about the amount of times he does estimates, etc....for free. Often times he does not get the work, for he is very thorough, and will not do a halfway job., so people do not want to hear what it costs to do a real brake job........he has begun charging for said estimates, and more power to him...he should!!! A lot of people out there have a good mechanic tell him what is wrong and then fix it themselves..............at the expense of the mechanics free advice.

Not sour grapes by any means, for I love helping out, but, time is indeed money. And unfortunately mechanical work takes time!

Adam Puzerewski 81 westy 74 beetle 86 cabrio Vanagon Partsmobiles ----- Original Message ----- From: <KENWILFY@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 6:49 AM Subject: Re: [VANAGON] scammed? Idle stabilizer