Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:01:54 -0400
From:         "Sharpe, Steven (Facilities Planning)" <SSharpe@FAC.UNC.EDU>
Subject:      Head / Engine questions

I'm sure this question has been asked before.

Is there a manufacturer of better head gaskets?

I admit I'm not familiar with the design if the WBX head, so maybe things would be apparent if I saw one. It sounds like the major design flaw with the WBX is in the design of the the head / block mating surface and the use of this "fat" head gasket. Has anyone made a better mousetrap?

What is the OEM head gasket material?

Has anyone out there converted to the Evans Cooling zero pressure system. http://www.evanscooling.com/ Does anyone know what the difference is between their 100% "Non-Aqueous Propylene Glycol" and other Propylene Glycol antifreezes such as Amsoil, Sierra, or Neo or even Dowfrost HD? The Evans website talks about the possible need for a different water pump. Antifreezes such as Amsoil, Sierra, or Neo are to be used mixed with water and have disclaimers about using it in mixtures less than 30 or 40 percent water. Is that because its too thick to pump in the standard water pump? Has anyone tried to run 100% Amsoil, Sierra, or Neo in an attempt to eliminate corrosion and a pressurized cooling system.

I've also been reading about the head heat soak problem after shutdown. Is there anyone out there who has gone to an electric water pump that would cool the heads after shutdown? How tricky would this be to do? How is the mechanical water pump attached? Is the thermostat and bypass internal or external to the engine.

Has anyone insulated their exhaust manifold to reduce heat transfer back to the head

I would like to purchase a Vanagon sometime in the near future. I hate being limited to the air-cooleds because of WBX concerns. I want items such as A/C, power steering, etc