Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:04:29 -0500
From:         Matthew Libby & Denise DeWolfe <matandded@NETWAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ratio Rockers
Comments: To: Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>

Perhaps I should have read more closely before but, what is this chip, how much, and will it work in the 1.9?

Thanks, Matt

Mick Kalber wrote: > > Chris... I'm no mechanic, but from what I understand the difference in > horsepower from the chip only to the chip and rockers is substantial. I > have a printout with a graph that show the difference... Send me a fax > number if you want to see it. As to emissions, Robert would know I suppose, > but I wouldn't think it would cause you to not pass. > > I'm going with a chip, probably the Pauter Rolling Rockers (thinking about > the Gene Berg's, but they are more $$$), K & N air filter and more free > flowing exhaust. Already running synthetic oil and synthetic tranny fluid. > > Good luck. > > Mick Kalber > Tropical Visions Video, Inc. > 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 > ph. 808-935-5557 fax 808-935-0066 > hotlava@interpac.net > www.volcanoscapes.com > > -----Original Message----- > From: chrisr@dinnerbroker.com [mailto:chrisr@dinnerbroker.com] > Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 7:47 PM > To: Wolfvan88@aol.com > Cc: PGB@dolby.com; danrich@ccmaui.net; Rubatoguy@mindspring.com; > marokus@voyager.net; Candmhok@aol.com; PClark@northpoint.net; > hans@magnaware.com; carl_hansen@ieee.org; hotlava@interpac.net; > djs@gene.com; Westybill@aol.com; markm@centralmedia.net; > DCrammond@aol.com; dkatsuki@world.std.com; buspilot@worldnet.att.net; > ThreeHartz@aol.com; derekdrew@rcn.com; beekj@ghg.net > Subject: RE: Ratio Rockers > > Robert, > > I was planning to go chip-only for a while, but I might also consider > getting the rockers if you are planning another group purchase. > > One question I have is the effect on emissions control. I am in > California -- I have no idea whether the chip or chip/rocker combination > would cause my Westy to fail a CA emissions check. I could always swap the > chip again for the purpose of passing the test (every 2 years), but swapping > the rockers in and out would be a drag. (And I'd rather not be running with > excessive emissions anyway). > > Any of you folks have ideas on this? > > Thanks, > > Chris Radcliffe > '90 Westy Auto "Blue Whale" > > -----Original Message----- > From: Wolfvan88@aol.com [mailto:Wolfvan88@aol.com] > Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 9:37 AM > To: PGB@dolby.com; danrich@ccmaui.net; Rubatoguy@mindspring.com; > marokus@voyager.net; Candmhok@aol.com; PClark@northpoint.net; > hans@magnaware.com; carl_hansen@ieee.org; hotlava@interpac.net; > djs@gene.com; Westybill@aol.com; markm@centralmedia.net; > chrisr@dinnerbroker.com; DCrammond@aol.com; dkatsuki@world.std.com; > buspilot@worldnet.att.net; ThreeHartz@aol.com; derekdrew@rcn.com; > beekj@ghg.net > Subject: Ratio Rockers > > Well, the chips will be here late next week. I will get boxes to mail them > out to you by Monday or Tuesday. You should receive them a few day after > that, hopefully before the weekend, so you can put them in. > The following have expressed interest in getting the Pauter ratio rocker > arms: > > Mick Kalber > Derek Drew > Peter Buettner > David Katsuki > > Are their any more planning to add the ratio rockers? > > Are their any of you wanting to see how the chip performs before you add > ratio rockers? > > Some other improvements to increase chip performance: > > K&N Drop in air filter- replaces the stock filter > > Free'er flowing muffler-reduces back pressure allowing easier exiting of > exhaust gasses. > > Quad tip plugs. > > Synthetic oil in gear box and engine and power steering-you can add > synthetic > oil to the auto tranny. Mobil makes synthetic oil for the auto trannys. I > am using it in my power steering system.( I have used it for two years now, > over 29,000 miles with no problems or leaks, I change it @every two years) > > Ratio rockers- this adds the biggest change in performance with "Bolt Ons" > > The muffler I used: DynoMax Turbo Muffler > > A-1 Performance > 12470 Northwest Freeway, Houston, Texas 77092 > Phone - (716) 889-2786 > Fax - (716) 889-5218 > www.a-1performance.com > Information: > http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/index.htm > Part Number 17783 > http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/mufflers/super_turbo_mufflers_pag > e2 > htm > Cost: > http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/mufflers/super_turbo_mufflers_pric > e. > htm > > cost $58 > > The K&N Airfilter: > > Performance International > 696 West 18th Street Costa Mesa, CA 92627 > 1-800-522-1672 > www.performanceintl.com > Email: performanceintl@virtualrep.com > K&N Air Filter > > Cost was $28