Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:52:11 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Friday musings to get you thinking (some Vanagon content)

It's been an interesting week on the list. Lots of talk about reliability, safety, etc. that has prompted me to offer some observations as food for thought.

Bridgestone/Firestone: Unbelievable and unforgivable negligence here. According to in depth articles in the Wall Street Journal this week Firestone states they "don't know what the problem with the tires is." Then why should anyone believe that their replacement tires are any good either if they don't know what the problem is? In 1978 Firstone had the exact same problem with tread peeling off Firestone 500 tires and recalled 13 million of them. In those pre-SUV days only (large) cars had these tires and fatal rollover accidents weren't as common as today, so Firestone survived, but was weakened and agreed to be purchased by Bridgestone. At that time a chemical (resorcinol) used in too high a concentration as a bonding agent was named as the cause. What is it now? What shortcuts or flawed process are they using this time? This is incomprehensible to me.

According to the WSJ, "...at that time [1979] calls were made to enact tire industry regulations, but with the advent of the Regan administration and it's stated goal of less industry regulation nothing was done." So now we have "deja vu all over again." As anyone who has bought tires recently knows, there not only is no regulation in this industry (ever read your tires' warranty?), but no standardization either. This has got to end an maybe this debacle will finally end it.

Vanagon content: If you have ANY Firestone tires on ANY of your vehicles either replace them with ANY other brand TODAY, or stay off the freeways and below 45 mph! The safety of their products IS COMPLETELY UNKNOWN!!!!

Mitsubishi: Another stunning revelation. For over 20 years Mitsubishi has hidden product problems to avoid recalls! Now some 600,000 cars are being recalled, and the government is investigating with possible criminal prosecution forthcoming. I should hope so! And DaimlerChrysler wants to buy them? Well, maybe it's a good fit. I lived through the K-car era, and some of my relatives were victims. Lee Iococa wasn't kidding when he admitted "we made some real crap in the '80s", and that crap came with Mitsubishi engines that were real pieces of work! If any of them were still on the road they would no doubt be part of the recall.

So, the food for thought part: Do we need stronger regulation or less regulation? Should Firestone survive this time? How many chances do you give them? Would you buy or feel safe with a Firestone or Mitsubishi product?

And on a lighter note (with Vanagon content):

Subaru conversions: If Kennedy ever comes up with a shortened oil pan that includes windage baffles, a shortened oil pick up, five quart capacity, and a dipstick reachable from behind the license plate I'll put a Subaru engine in next time for one reason and one reason only:

I'D NEVER HAVE TO REBUILD AN ENGINE FOR THE VANAGON AGAIN! There are thousands of Subaru engines to be had for a few hundred dollars sitting in junkyards everywhere! I could even have a spare or two sitting in the garage at those prices!

Happy Friday, and have great weekend!

Let the flames begin!

-- Stuart MacMillan Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1 '65 MGB (Driven since 1969) '74 MGB GT (Restoring)

Assisting on Restoration: '72 MGB GT (Daughter's) '64 MGB (Son's)

Parts cars: '68 & '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT