Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:32:43 -0400
From:         Brian Cirulnick <techrat@VM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cutting Out Problem

Howdy all;

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in so far, because this just started happening to me last week. On Saturday night of the Labor day weekend, I was returning home from my brother's place on Long Island. My Vanagon died on Canal Street in Manhattan and would not restart. Stalled for no reason that I could see. At first, I thought it was the fuel filter or something else clogged.

Anyhow, after a few hours of cooling off, it started up and I continued to drive it home into New Jersey.

Here's what we (me and my mechanic (Jamie in North Bergen 201-866-6664, he's real good!)) have found so far.

#1) It's possibly electrical in nature. One thing to think about is that as our metal bodies get older, they don't conduct electricity as well. Corrosion builds up resistance in the circuit, and, as everything is connected to ground, there might not be enough juice for everything to get getting what it needs. One thing we are trying is to run a wire from the battery closer to the engine so that everything isn't trying to go through the body.

#2) It's also heat related. When the machine is cold, it runs fine. When it starts getting hot, then is when you're most likely to have the problem. He's running all over it with a voltmeter and going through everything step by step. He described to me an electrical burning smell he thinks he can detect after running the engine for a while.

He's working on it right now, and I'll try and keep you all updated on what he finds.

BTW: If anybody is going to Englishtown NJ on Oct 1st, I'll be there!

TTYL - Brian Cirulnick ----------------------------------------------------------------------- E-mail: techrat@vm.com URL: http://www.vm.com/ http://www.obsolyte.com -- where the antique is elYte!!