Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:19:55 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: bucking/ what fix
Comments: To: "Joe L." <mejoe100@EARTHLINK.NET>

"Joe L." wrote:

> I fought the fight for years using all of the standard fixes and > tricks, all without success. One day last year I changed out a shot muffler > and PRESTO! bucks are gone! > No idea why but there it is.

Joe, Just a wild idea. The Oxygen Sensor has only one signal wire and that signal is in the 0-1 volt range. But that 0-1 volt is relative to the chassis ground. But there is no direct ground connection between the Oxygen Sensor and the chassis. The ground connection must be through the exhaust pipes and muffler. If the connections are very rusty, this ground connection could be very poor. Worse, if the exhaust components are joined by fiber gaskets, then you may have no real ground connection. My guess is that you would have an intermittent ground and the Oxygen Sensor voltage would be almost meaningless. The Digifant ECU would make meaningless adjustments to the fuel injection timing/duration. Changing to a new muffler may have given you a good ground and solved your problem. -wish it were Phyday- Larry '86 Syncro Westfalia & Doublecab