Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:48:17 -0500
From:         Tim Marciniak <tmarcini@MAIL.EXECPC.COM>
Subject:      How to test starter off the van?

My van left me stranded at work this week, had it towed home and then began work on the van. At first thought I had a bad battery but became suspicious after two different friends tried to give me a jump without success. I even took a battery from my Passat put it in the van still nothing after I try to start. About all I could get was a click in the solenoid (I think).

So I got out the Bentley and followed the logic map for the starter troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that the starter motor is bad. Called Bus Depot and expect a new one in the next day or so.

Tonite I decided to remove the starter and just try to activate it on the bench. Something my Dad showed me many years ago (like 34 yrs ago) when shadetree mechanics did their own rebuilds on starters and alternators and such. Basically what I was trying to do is construct a mock up of the circuit on the bench and I was hoping someone could verify my layout of the circuit.

Now just to be consistent with Bentley there are four terminals on the Vanagon starter:

Terminal 30---this is positive from the battery, large terminal on solenoid. Terminal 16---to ignition coil Terminal 50---connection from ignition/starter switch (NOTE: on my starter Terminal 16 & 50 appear to be connected) Connection A--For field windings--connects solenoid to field windings

Using a 12V car battery I connected battery positive to Terminal 30. I connected battery negative to metal flange on starter (as it would be grounded on the van). Next to activate the solenoid and spin the starter motor I took a jumper wire from terminal 30 and connected it to terminal 50, I expected to at least hear the solenoid click but nothing happened except a slight hum from the battery when I jumped terminal 30 to 50.

My question is am I correct in assuming that to operate the starter I should be jumping Terminal 30 to 50?

I was hoping to hear the solenoid at least click since I'm assuming the starter is shot but instead I got nothing from the solenoid /starter.

I'd appreciate any comments on this, I thought I understood the circuit but now I'm not sure.

Tim Marciniak 90 Multivan