Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2000 07:18:26 -0700
From:         t <vbob@PRIMENET.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Mother Ship
Comments: To: Harold Jaynes <hjaynes1@HOTMAIL.COM>

Be nervous, very nervous. That red blinking light is not an extra part put on by VW. It's telling you your coolant system is not properly burped. The symptoms you describe are like those of a system with air bubbles in the coolant.

I drove mine for a couple of months with a compression leak into the coolant system. Once I replaced the engine and got the system properly filled and burped, the red light has gone away. Driving a Vanagon with a blinking red light makes me want to beam somewhere else. A Vanagon going to "HOT" for a minute... I wouldn't sleep.

Fix the issues now. Or no more warp drive for you.

tim o'brien 84 semi conversion

Harold Jaynes wrote: > > I appreciate all the responses to the synthetic oil question. After having > owned three Vanagons and approximately 25 Volkswagens, am I offbase in > saying that I'd better count on having electrical problems? I guess it comes > with the territory and I've just gotten used to the quirks. My specific > question is: My Viper red Vanagon, a.k.a. "The Whale" has this annoying > blinking light on the temperature gauge which has caused the blazing red > Whale with the blinking red lights to be renamed the Mother Ship. > Occasionally the vehicle will play mind games with me and the temperature > gauge will go to the far right to tease me and let me think it's running > hot, stay there for a minute, and go back to the halfway mark...regardless > if it is cold,hot, heater on, heater off....but the blinking light...it > stays blinking constantly. Any ideas? I have a new sensor in the coolant > reservoir and the temperature gauge seems to be fine. Any VW braniacs care > to take a stab at it? I'd prefer to fix it other than keeping a small piece > of tape covering the light so I don't get to see it blink! Thanks again for > all the responses. > > Harold Jaynes > Crime Free Washington D.C. > 84 Whale > "If I would have known they were going to make me Pope, I would have studied > harder." Pope John Paul II > _________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. > > Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at > http://profiles.msn.com.