Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:27:10 -0400
From:         "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Park Lights

>I looked at a European H4 conversion replacement light for my 84 Vanagon >today. > >1. if i use the 55/60 watt bulb do i have to upgrade my switch

No, but you will greatly reduce the electrical load on the switch by using a relay to control the lights. Switch turns on the relay, relay activates the lights. Switch only has to carry enough current to activate the relay.

>2. Will i notice a light output increase

Yes. Even more so if you use a relay and 12 gauge or better wire to supply power to the lights.

>3. what the ph*** is a park light???

Small 5 or 6 watt lamps inside the headlights that are wired into the parking light circuit (headlight switch first position) and supply sort of a soft glow out of the headlight reflectors. Doesn't light up much, but looks trick, and useful when pulling into a campsite late at night when your neighbors are asleep. Kinda surprised my mechanic Tuesday when I had the van in for state inspection, but he was cool about it.

Tony

Anthony L. Mourkas Hampden, Maine, USA 1984 Vanagon Westfalia 1991 Jetta Eco Diesel