Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:14:58 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 conversion warning--and solution
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <Dhaynes57@email.msn.com>

I agree with Dennis' assessment here based on my experience with and without the oil cooler on my conversion. Oil is the primary coolant for the bearings, and can actually remove up to 1/3 of the engine's total waste heat.

The PO of my first 2.1 figured out a good way to plumb the 2.1 cooler into the 1.9 cooling system, since the cooler won't fit on the case with the 1.9 exhaust system

I really need to build that web site, but I can send photos to someone who would like to post this.

The modification requires an external oil filter set up and drilling and tapping the t-stat housing and water pump for barbed hose fittings. A bit of work by both you and a machine shop, but easily installed by any competent amateur mechanic.

These operating temps are what has prompted me to switch to Red Line oil after the 3000 mile break in period along with my Trasko oil filter system. Oil is the engine's life blood!

Dennis Haynes wrote: > > A number of people have upgraded their 1.9 engines for 2.1 and have then had > bottom end failures. It is necessary to maintain the 2.1 liter engines oil > cooler when doing this. The 2.1's longer stroke seems to cause the oil to > operate at much higher temps than the 1.9. Even with the oil cooler working, > 260'F and up is normal at 4,000rpm. Most bearing or rod failures are not > caused by normal wear. Something failed or wear was really excessive which > would have provided much warning before parts started flying. Excessive oil > temps will thin the oil out enough that oil can actually stop pumping at > all. > > Hope this helps someone, > Dennis

-- Stuart MacMillan Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1 '65 MGB (Driven since 1969) '74 MGB GT (Restoring)

Assisting on Restoration: '72 MGB GT (Daughter's) '64 MGB (Son's)

Parts cars: '68 & '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT