Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:04:51 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Low Alternator Voltage
Comments: To: d t <tinkerman@USA.NET>

At 00:58 9/3/2000, d t wrote: >Nope. I'm still looking for a resonable cost solution (yes, I've seen those >$300 solutions and definitely didn't like them...:-)

I've just finished a sailing cruise with the $300 Ample Power "Next Step" regulator. It's great, works exactly as advertised (http://www.amplepower.com/). Runs the alternator flat out until the battery voltage (corrected for battery temperature) gets to 14.4 (adjustable), then holds that voltage for an hour (adjustable) while the charge rate decreases, then floats the battery at 13.8v. Be-yoo-dee! First time Scamp's batteries have been fully charged in 30 years. I figure that if I get six years out of the batteries instead of 2-3 it will pay for itself by then, not including the irritation and extra fuel from running the engine chronically to semi-charge the batteries at low amperage. However I've got about 300 Amp-hours capacity, costs more to replace than a Vanagon battery.

>to add remote voltagesensing to my system.

This is a no-brainer. You simply take the regulator internal sense terminal and modify it so that it no longer connects to the alternator sense output, then run a wire from it to the battery. Cost is whatever you have to pay for the sense wire. Specific instructions are in the Group 3 section of http://www.surepower.com/pdfs/180012.pdf I think I told you the same thing the last time you brought this up <g>.

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"