Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Sep 2000 22:29:23 -0700
From:         Michael Schiesser <fruitlands@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      New motor
Comments: To: ktaylor@premier1.net

en, Ouch what a bummer. I feel for you because that same kind of thing has happened to me sooo many times. I figure I must relish the idea of being in trouble on the side of the road, at least that was the case before I bough my '89 3 years ago which knock on wood, is performing well.

Any way, you are right, we discussed all that recently. Un fortunately, most of my personal archive of that conversation is on my hard drive and I'm housesitting using someone elses computer. I can reiterate some resources here, and others will as well I am sure.

See Tiico.com, or search tiico.

THats my personal favorite based on what I have been heaing on the list serve etc. Its like a Jetta engine, retrofitted for vanagon.

THey also have used waterboxer engines on the site, from folks doing conversions.

THen there are waterboxer used and rebuilt. I'm sure you could find the range from just pulled no modifiations, to rebuilt heads, rebuilt cyl, all the way down to new aftermarket case like GEX. I personally would stay away from high end aftermarket Waterboxer, because the damn engine is doomed from the start, and the best value would be in a either a low cost waterboxer, or go with a conversion. Conversion would cost you more, but you got a 90 so there are years of value left in the chassis.

Ive done lots of engine work on air cooled but this is new territory for me so dont think I'm Mr expert. THe reason I know anything is from asking the same question you did a month ago for myself out of curiousity, and then pretending it was 18-36 months down the road....when I expect to be facing the next $2000+ bill for head repair (again). Make sure you mechanic quotes you for a conversion , if you choose to do that. It may add to the cost because it is not as straight forward, but not like crazy weird either from what I ahve heard. Some guy in Renton WA converted a syncro. I dont know where you live on I-5, but he likely has resources in seattle, although it sounds like he did the work himself.

Michael SChiesser > Hi, folks. > > I was driving down I-5 yesterday when some very loud sounds started coming out of > my engine (1990 Vanagon MV Westy, 115,000 miles). I was able to get it to the > shoulder right away, and we towed it to a VW repair biz. The mechanic said that > the motor needs to be replaced. > > What are my options for replacing the engine? He said that he'd put a rebuilt > engine in for $3,300, or I could find an engine and he'd install it for $720 (12 > hours). > > I realize that this has probably been discussed extensively in the past, but ya > never pay close attention until the crisis hits home. > > -- Ken Taylor > ktaylor@premier1.net

===== Michael Schiesser MD 1418 24th Ave Seattle WA 98122

"Fruitlands" is name given to the region around Harvard Mass by early settlers. We dont live there any more, but I did when I chose the fruitlands user name.