Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:56:38 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: 91 vanagon carat salvage or save?
Comments: To: MAW21@prodigy.net

In a message dated 9/16/00 4:43:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MAW21@PRODIGY.NET writes:

<< I have a 91 vanagon carat I purchased last november. I overpaid for it, but it was in near perfect condition with only 63000 miles on it. Then in December it got into a front end collision, was repaired enough to run, but still the body work it needs totals 2500$. Then, the engine burned up (long story), now, it needs a new engine to the tune of 4000$. I still owe 11000 on it. If I sell it to salvage, will I get anything for it, cash upfront? Or do I put the new engine in it, and drive it with new engine and crunched front end? Honest opinions, please? Also., anybody want to buy it? Phoenix Arizona. >>

wow..if you still owe $11,000 on it i can only imagine what someone took you for, i mean sold it to you for.. jokes aside, i think youre looking at alot of money out the window. Why didn't your InsCo fix ALL the damage from the accident? seems odd they only paid for half.. or was the collision your fault, and you just paid someone out of pocket? Just curious to what happened to "burn the engine up" at 63k? does it run? did you throw a rod, or just blow the head gaskets? if you sell it to a scrapyard, i dont even think you'll get $500 for it if it doesnt run. also, you dont have to get a "new engine for $4000" there are plenty other options. ive seen a few 2.1L motors fs recently here on the list, in fact theres a guy i responded to in CA selling one for $900 obo. and if your van still runs, then just throw another set of heads/gaskets on your van and go on your way.. at 63k i cant imagine the bottom end of your engine being bad unless you ran it out of oil or something catastophic like that.

if youre interested, i have a '89 Carat in excellent shape for sale, im asking $6500 or best offer with NEW heads/gaskets chris