Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Sep 2000 12:04:38 +0000
From:         Jim Henry <jch@VNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Worn Clutch
Comments: To: "Mark A. Williamson, Ph.D." <mwilliamson@USWEST.NET>

Mark, I had a circumstance once where clutch was only lasting 10K miles (1 for me, 1 for p.o.) where the end result each time was a catastrophic clutch failure in very inopportune locations.

The problem turn out to be the sleeve that the throwout bearing rides on was bent or damaged and the bearing was not fully disengaging and getting really hot. The finger mechanism was also bent, I guess as a result of the heat, and the clutch action was also reduced as you have described with yours. There was a slight noise for the clutch area for a few hundred miles before failure.

I guess my point is that you are probably going to have to do some clutch work soon and you should consider replacing all of the parts involved, including the sleeve and the finger mechanism.

Hope that this is not your situation but hope it helps. There are good diagrams of the mechanisms in Bentley.

Jim Henry 84 westy