Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Sep 2000 19:39:25 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Driving lights on a 1991 GL (suggestions)
Comments: To: dave@sparkplug.com

Dave--

I suggest upgrading to the the current (1999) South African front grill set up with the Hella 5 inch H3 driving lights.

On the plus side:

1.It looks cool 2. Driving lights mounted as high as the headlights as opposed to down on the bumper which should be an advantage on hilly roads IMHO 3. Allows you to replace regular 7" round headlights with 7" Hella H4 which offer better night vision if legal in your area (gets rid of arguably inferior vanagon square headlights)

On the negative side: 1. Pricier than merely adding driving lights to bumper. Somewhere around $300

If you're not familiar with the South African grill you can see it at www.Vanagon.com then click on "photos" and scroll down to the picture of the orange bus titled "misc. photos" and click on that. There are several aftermarket dealers in the USA that carry the grill.

It is similar to the Golf GTI grill with the stock 7" round headlights and then the 5" Hella H3 driving lights mounted beside the stock headlights on the side toward the middle of the grill.

Dealers of the South African grill I know of are: Listee James Cohen jscohen@sprynet.com Ken at Van Again www.vanagain.com Ron at Bus Depot www.Busdepot.com

(normal disclaimers)

I bought my grill and lights from James Cohen and am very pleased with it. The added light from the driving lights is well deserved and appreciated. I have replaced my stock 7" headlights with halogen 7" bulbs--but would like to upgrade to the hell H4s eventually. As far as I know James is the only one who offers the SA grill kit with the complete factory mounting for the driving lights including the "buckets" and brackets for the 5" hella H3 driving lights. this allows you to aim the beam of the driving lights and is a factory set up--although never available on US models from the dealer here. The installation of the SA grill entails measurinf and drilling for the driving light brakcets only. The SA grill snaps into the mounting clips existing on the bus. And then of course the driving lights must be wired up.

On whatever kit you purchase you would have to purchase used headlight buckets for stock round headlights to replace the square headlight set up your bus has (unless you have a Vanagon build prior to 1986). The 7" Hella H4 halogen lights would be an additional cost as well. Or you could choose stock replacement 7" bulbs which are cheaper.

I would use the factory optional fog light switch. Matches your existing switches and mounts in the plugged square hole blow the hazard switch in your dash. Ron has them at www.Busdepot.com

> > 4. Is the wiring easy?

Yes--relatively. Mine are hooked up to always go on with the high beams--easy wiring. However, ideally they should be wired with relays to save too much current from travelling through the light switch. Or you can wire them to go on and off with the fog light switch. Someone with more wiring experience than me with should advise you on the exact hook up.

Also for fog light options there is the Projektzwo fog light kit that mounts square fog lights on the outside ends of the lower grill. If you only want fog lights and don't need driving lights I would say this is the way to go. Problem is it's a little more than $325 or $350 as well.

This kit essentially extends the bottom grill to the edges of the bus so it is equal in width to the upper grill. In the extended area the fog lights are mounted for a neat appearance. I believe Ken sells this kit and has photos of this set up on his website. www.vanagain.com

Having said that I do not own and have not installed the projektzwo kit. I merely like the look and seemingly functionality of the design. Perhaps one with the kit can comment on it's benefits.

If I can help with any more information please let me know.

See the light.

Jeff 83.5 Westy formerly of NYC/ currently in Lake Tahoe