Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:14:23 -0400
From:         Flat Four <aircooledvw77t1@ENGINEER.COM>
Subject:      EGR/Tankcapacity/oilfilter/rust
Comments: To: VintagVW@listproc.sjsu.edu

Hi all... Good news, I would strongly recomend this NAPA heavy duty rubbing compound because it really works. Only the surface rust though and even the caked on brake dust. I rubbed a little on my rusted crome that I was complaining about earlier and Voila! :))))))) I can see my reflection, it looks brand new. 100% satisfied. I will also recomend this rust converter I got in the Autos section in Wal Mart. I sprayed it on my rusted exhaust pipe and rusted tank and it converted the rust into a black primer. So far so good. Very satisfied with this because the POR15 I would have to wait for in the mail. The converted primer on the hot exhaust seems to be holding up. I drive a 77' std beetle. 1600cc dp fuel injected. Any ideas on the fuel tank capacity? On an empty tank I can only fill it up to 8.743 gallons. And i'm not to sure about the fuel gauge because it still leaves a small little space away from FULL with a full tank of gas. Now my questions about the EGR and the oil filter almost go together. On this kind of VW will the screw on and go type of oil filter not fit next to the header because of the EGR valve being in the way? I have the Hanes manual and it doesn't tell me how to maintain the year EGR I have. All it says is later models may not have an EGR filter. The EGR light went on and I simply reset it without cleaning any carbon build up's out of my EGR system and i'm trying to find out how to do that. Today I traveled about 50 mi. on the Interstate with speeds from 65 to 70 mph. By the last couple of minutes of the commute my new Gene Berge Dipstick temp switch had spoken to me. It started blinking the oil light (idiot light) along with the hand brake warning light. I backed off to 50 and a minute later it turns. Later I merge off the freeway taking it out of gear and it turns on. I revv the engine to get a good airflow through there and it turns off. Oh I forgot to add that there was a head wind. But does this all sound right????? I always thought the warning buzzer should acompany the idiot light and I hadn't known about the brake warning light, at first I suspected a short curcuit somewhere. With good compression, oil level where it should be, all my tin in place and a tune up I didn't think my engine would ever overheat at 70mph. Any tricks on removing the fan belt? It's way tight on mine, I have the later alternator type fan belt with alternator. And lastly I have a question on California Driving etiquet. I never really thought about it but if there is a space between you and the car in front of you and your at a stop light and someone is in the lane to your right. Would it be okay for them to move their car half way into the space in front of you if there is a detoure or a merging in their lane or something? I have no problem with it because it's all controlled. Your at a compleat stop so you can't accidentaly crash into them. It would seem that this would be perfectly okay in new york driving conditions. It looks like it's not okay in CA because there everyone wants space and does not want to feel cut off. Oh please, give me some feedback...

Matt of Orange County

______________________________________________ FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup