Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Sep 2000 08:46:42 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Tinkering with the Digifant Fuel Injection to make it better...

Do not do it....

The DF FI system is set to read micro voltages and changing a setting might put it beyond the range for the sensor and the Digifant ignores the reading and applies a default programed based on the other sensors. This can seem to increase power, but sometimes it can mask a failed component.

...You are starting to lose a little power in the engine, so you adjust the timing/air flow meter/ turn the idle adjustment up, etc... to try to regain power, this might or might or might not work, if it does, it can mask a failing part: Distributor cap and rotor, plugs, wires, O2 sensor, temp II sensor, air flow meter, ECU, weak coil, idle control module, fuel pressure regulator, etc...

What I have discovered with all my tinkering (I had to change my Carb thinking to FI thinking) is that if all the parts are working correctly, the DF system runs good. Throw in a bad component and it can go down hill quickly.

As discussed in the past posts, the main problems now with the DJ and DF systems are AGE and MILEAGE. Parts are simply worn out or have failed.

The FI system is interdependent is good for making up for a failed or out of spec part, but comes to a point when it will fail. Fixing one bad part might work, but sometimes it is more than one part that had failed, so other parts that are slightly out of spec can cause the NEW part to APPEAR to not work.

In preparation for the Digifant upgrade chip [I want the FI to be setup as stock, with no artificial setting (Non-stock)], I have put the new air flow meter back to the original setting (I moved it back the one notch I loosened it) that it had when I bought it a year ago. The bottom end response improved and the overall power picked up a bit. The point is that a SMALL change in the spring tension of the air flow meter made a change to the engine at lower RPMs but did not diminish the upper RPMs, it actually improved it. The correct air was flowing for the correct fuel.

I had changed the AFM one notch, earlier when my splice in O2 sensor did not work correctly because it seemed to made it run better. (It changed the micro-voltage the ECU received and made my engine run lean with no power, changing it with an OEM NO splice restored power and resulted in a better running engine.) I even loosened the AFM four notches to see the effect, I lost the bottom end big time. Coming off from a stand still, with the throttle was pressed half way and the engine had no power until the revs moved past 3000 RPMs. (This is what was happening to the engine when I first bought the van, flat acceleration until past 3000 RPMs, them power)

If you are having low speed problems look at the air flow meter, the wiper board is worm out in the first part of the wiper board. Get a new AFM, the cost is cheap compared to a few years ago. Now you can just about replace the entire FI system with after market vendors (LIST VENDERS) (which I have done) cheaper than buying one or two parts from the dealer a few years ago.

Maybe the list vendors can develop a Digijet or a Digifant parts kit like the hoses...

Robert