Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:56:03 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: SUV Roll Overs = Death Patch = lack of free air?
Comments: To: Chuck & Lillian <lfjohnson@LOOP.COM>

Chuck & Lillian wrote:

> Years ago we could get air without tokens and without purchasing any fuel, > whenever we needed it. What are the bicyclists - who use no gas - to do? > As I understand it, the compressor that provides pressure for the gasoline > to come out was the same source for the air hose air, so the additional > costs of supplying it were negligible. It's just another example of how we > get nickeled and dimed to death.

Well... not really. Gasoline is 'pumped' using electric pumps. The air is supplied (was supplied in my case) by a 10hp two stage air compressor. Said air compressor was also used to run the bay lifts. Negligible? Not really. Compressor cost about $2500 and the electricity to run it increased in cost during the summer when the "users" (rarely customers) used it to blow up their float tubes, attempted to 'do-it-yourself' tyre repair (rather than pay me $7.50) and the like. The cost of operation also includes replacing the $15 hose every month or so when some vandal cut it to steal the $2.00 air chuck.

If you really want 'free' air, go buy yourself a 12v cigar lighter powered compressor from your local Costco or the like. Cost you about $25 and you'll always have 'free' air.

Jim Arnott WetWesties (and former Texaco retailer) Union, OR