Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:12:57 PDT
From:         "robot ." <robot_works@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Speaking of Cooler thermostat questions....(long)

I have a used engine in my 84 semiconverted hardtop weekend westy carat. When I got it I noticed one of the sparkplugs had a helicoil on it. I wasn't too pleased, but the engine seemed to work and I just screwed it back in and went on my way. What does this have to do with thermostats? I have also noticed the thermostat sticks open quite often and that has been the case for the last week. Yes, yes, I know I should replace the thermostat, I have one, but time is really tight with moving into a new house, work, kids, GF, etc. The bottom line is, even with the ultra hot weather out here in N. California, the van has been running extremely cold. Like the needle doesn't even show when driving down the freeway.

SO... Today getting onto the freeway, I hear a loud pop pop pop pop... etc. Expecting my exhaust system to have come apart, I pulled over and looked cornfused under the van. Nada. Wait... there is a sparkplug hanging from it's cable... the one with the helicoil. The helicoil is still on it. The helicoil fits with wiggling back into the spark plug hole. without turning. Damn.

Well, talking to the local (and best) FLAPS (Small World Auto Parts in Albany, CA), he explains there is a jumbo helicoil available but ya gotta pull the head to install it. Sounds like 700 bucks to me. SO figuring the head is toast anyway, I buy a new helicoil insert and some jbweld. And a new sparkplug as the old one has seized itself into the old helicoil.

My pointed question is... Did the cool running heads on the engine combined with the heated plug and helicoil conspire to cause the helicoil to start bypassing exhaust gas and make the junction fail?

Interested in your thoughts.

The funny thing is I have been running the van quite a bit because of the daily driver posts here and the fact that it has been running really great.

tim o'brien (pedestrian for the night while the jbweld stuff cures)