Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:17:43 -0500
From:         Rich Propsom <Rich@PROPSOM.NET>
Subject:      New Diesel Transaxle for sale (long story)

OK hears the story. On 05/09/98 the PO had a remanufactured transaxle installed in flagstaff AZ. The transaxle was from German Transaxle of America, Inc. 61560 American Lane, Bend OR. Two year warranty and filled with GL-4 gear oil. Vehicle was driven to Wisconsin where it was used and eventually sold to next owner three months later. (I am the neighbor of that owner)

Well this owner, although in love with the camper was not mechanically inclined and things went downhill quickly. After numerous problems she finally killed the engine by running it out of water (I think it had a leaky hose). Well to make a long story shorter it sat in the driveway for a year and a half until this spring when she needed another vehicle and found it wasn't worth much if it didn't run. I made a attractive offer under the circumstances and ended up with it.

I quickly found that it indeed died a tragic heat related death ( when i took off the valve cover I found what appeared to be plastic melted around the cam, that turns out to be some kind of oil splash guard). After some apprehension I made the jump and went from diesel to a 1.8L gas which is now sweetly humming inside. In the process (thank you archives and vanagon related web sites) I learned that the diesel transaxle is geared toooooooo low and I should find a gas transaxle. Well that is what I did. As a result I have a good used transaxle for sale.

Here it is: Trans# 19573, Serial # DM21091, this is a remanufactured unit from German Transaxle of America, Inc. in Bend OR. I had less than 4,000 miles on it when PO killed engine. No known transmission problems during previous owners use. Does not include diesel bell housing, as I used it for current gas engine. Have gas bell housing should you want it. Originally bought for 980.00 in 1998 by PO, have original documentation. (note, currently drained, magnetic drain plug was very clean with no significant particle accumulation.)

Asking $500 US or best offer, will box, shipping extra and per direction of buyer. Pickup possible if your near. Green Bay WI.

Any questions, comments offers, reply to Rich@Propsom.Net