Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Sep 2000 00:49:22 EDT
From:         Claralw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: [VB] Mystery oil&gas leak
Comments: To: aircooledvw77t1@engineer.com, vintagebus@type2.com,
          type2@lenti.type2.com, VintagVW@listproc.sjsu.edu

I need some help pinpointing some leaks on my Volksie. It seems to be leaking oil but there are no oil spots on the driveway. ------

how do you know it is leaking and not burning oil (I am guessin the oil level goes down) It could also be spitting oil from thecrank pulley, which may be a sort of spin marks of oil, or a fine misting settleing everywhere n the engine compartment. easiest to pinpoint oil leaks if you clean the motor and then examine it after driving.

...... So my guess is the pushrod tubes, can't be around the oil pressure switch because I already fixed that. It seems to loose oil at high revvs. I looked underneath with a flashlight around the cooling tin and I can see some black sludge around the end of one pushrod tube where it meets the cylindar head. How can I fix this with ease? Can I remove the rockers and push rods and break the pushrod tubes off then install the type of pushrod tube that has a spring so it can retracted and easily installed with new gaskets. Or would anyone advise strongly against these because they might leak also. ------------- I have had leaks at push rods, and it does result in drips unde the bus. It doesnt have to be high rev to drip either. i did fix it like how you said, my puling the rocker arms and the appropriate push rods, mangling the old PRTube out of there, installing a two part tube ( I used the ones with lock nuts) with new seals, and putting the PR and rocker arm back on (remember to readjust valves in a few 100 miles) if it is oily unde rthe prtube ends after you wash the motor and you can tell it is oozing, then it leaks there, but when they leak they drip ................. I know the engine doesn't burn oil because it never has and I had a compression test. This was noticed only recent. And there's no way to know for sure where all my oil is going... It also seems to smell gas on start up. After its been driven after 5 min the smell is gone. The Gas smell doesn't seem to be acumulating in the luggage compartment where the tank is. My best bet is the fuel lines underneath the luggage compartment where the electric fuel pump and filter are. My question is, if the connections or lines have been leaking only under pressure wouldn't it smell of gas constantly at low speeds around the city? Why should it clear up after a few minutes. -------- do check all you gas lines from the tank to the carb and see if any are oozing wet or if the are visably cracked. Replace is bad. some will say replace if in doubt. Also check to make sure you have a grommet where the metal line goes through the tin forward (towards the nose of the bus) of the fan shroud, and that the line has not worned through on the tin, as that can happen and have gas leak there.

also, do you regularly fill the bus before going home? if so it may be that the gas in the tank expands as the above ground temp tends to be warmer than the underground gas station tanks temps . If I park right after filling up I tend to smell gas when i go back to the bus, so I try not to or with the tank filler side uphill. Driving about 5 or 6 miles home seems to be enough for me that I dont smell gas after a fill up.

luggage compartment? what? - oh is this a bug? what make and model VW is this?