Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:50:42 -0500
From:         Alan Bosch <arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM>
Subject:      Cape Cod (Limited Vanagon content...)

Volks,

Got home this past Saturday from two glorious weeks on Cape Cod. Warm weather (when compared to Rochester), a lot of sunshine, and two kids that love the ocean, made for more fun and excitement than I ever imagined. We rented a house down-Cape in Eastham for a very reasonable off-season price. No crowds and free access to all the beaches.

As my Van has been running rather inconsistently for the past month or so, we opted to take the wife's Crapsler Mini-thingy for the trip. Made for a comfortable ride, but we wound up leaving a few things home I'm convinced we could have stuffed into Phred.

My 4 year old son has become very good at spotting "buses" & Volkswagen's in general - that is, old and New Beetles, Splitties, Loafs, and Vanagons, specifically. He counted 14 on one trip from our rented house in Eastham to the Cape Cod Potato Chip factory in Hyannis.

Saw many Vanagons while on the Cape. Neatest was a air-cooled Vanagon Westy that was painted, pop top and all, in a rather glaring, eye-catching yellow, with trout or salmon (or Manatees) hand painted on the side. Spoke for a short while with the owner who said he bought the bus painted the yellow and hand painted the fish himself. Nice guy. Wondered why I didn't have my Van with us. My wife chimed up and said, "Me. I wouldn't let him." Also found out that some Vanagon folks just don't have the affection or camaraderie of their vans that many on this list do. While at the flea market in Wellfleet, I mentioned to a woman in a blue Westy that I had a Wolfy at home and that I missed driving it. She responded with "So what", and walked off. A surfer in a grey Syncro I met at Coast Guard Beach asked if I had a Syncro. When I said no, he said "Oh" and walked off, like I didn't count or something.

There were a bunch of others, though, that were very nice - the guy with the brown Westy in the Midas shop in Orleans, the couple in a white Westy in Provencetown, the couple in the blue Wolfsburg at the Christmas Tree Shop in Orleans, the woman in the white bay window Westy in Dennisport, and a few others I know I'm forgetting. I am convinced that Cape Cod is the Vanagon and bus haven for the East coast.

For those interested, Cape Cod is a great place to go for a vacation - provided you go during the shoulder seasons (April - to Memorial Day and after Labor Day to mid-October). There are some great paved bike trails. You can rent bikes, kayaks - almost anything you could need.

Alan Bosch & Phred ('88 Wolfsburg) Rochester, NY