Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:09:31 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hella H4/why such different prices?
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

At 15:49 9/25/2000, Jeffrey R wrote: >I'm looking into getting Hella H4 headlights (7" round halogen lights that >replace existing 7" round headlights). I see great price discrepancies >1.Are there different types of H4 headlights?

There are different manufacturers -- H4 is a type of light bulb intended for headlights. The headlights that you're undoubtedly talking about adhere to the European specification for light distribution which is markedly different (and I think markedly superior to) the US spec, particularly on low beam. The Euro-spec headlamps on low beam have an extremely sharp cutoff at the top of the beam, rising at about 20 degrees at the right side (for LHD cars). This would be true of Euro-spec headlamps no matter what bulb they used. H4 happens to be the common one used in 7" round lamps.

>2.do they all have lead crystal lenses?

Beats me. Does it make any difference at all? There are differences in beam pattern between manufacturers, but they are comparatively minor against the enormous difference btw the E-spec and US-spec headlamps.

>3.Are they street-legal in California or anywhere?

AFAIK no light using the H4 bulb is street-legal anywhere in USA. However, there is another bulb that looks exactly like an H4 (but costs more, of course) that could *potentially* be used in a DOT-legal headlamp. I think it might be numbered 9005 or 9006 -- something like that; it's an H4 supposedly built to tighter specs. But it would have to be used in a DOT approved headlamp.

That being said, I've been using E-spec headlamps for 20 years now and have never heard of anyone having any legal difficulties with them. The sharp cutoff lets you aim them higher than US lamps without bothering other drivers. The one exception is that when you pass on the left, there is a short period when the rising portion of the beam will be in the mirrors of the vehicle you're passing. In 20 years I've been flashed once by a vehicle I'd just passed (presumably) because of this (i.e. in what seemed to be an aggrieved manner). The useful aspect of the beam rising to the right is that it catches signs on the side of the road.

>4.Do they all have a high and low beam?

The H4 bulb has high- and low-beam filaments.

>5. Are they worth having?

Yes. (IMNSHO)

>6.And are they worth the risk of a summons?

Yes (IMHO)

>The following prices are for a pair of 7" H4 headlights to the best of my >knowledge. Why such a difference? > >For a pair: >Rocky Mountain Motor Works gets $66

Probably Hella or Bosch. Cibie' would probably be a good bit more.

>The Bus Depot gets $35

Unbranded import, supposed to be decent quality, never seen them.

>West Coast Metric has them but I couldn't find a price >In Hot VWs: >SoCal Imports gets $16 >Moore Parts Source gets $16

Definitely an unbranded import, suspect they may come without bulbs, quality ???

david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"