Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:42:28 -0500
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hella H4/why such different prices?
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

At 03:49 PM 9/25/00 -0400, Jeffrey R wrote: >I'm looking into getting Hella H4 headlights (7" round halogen lights that >replace existing 7" round headlights). I see great price discrepancies >1.Are there different types of H4 headlights?

There are 2 types available, One is the "Vision Plus" type. It uses an H4 style bulb, and has the alignment tabs on it. The 2nd is the actual H4. The H4 does not have the tabs and has a very sharp line between light and dark.

>2.do they all have lead crystal lenses?

The really pricey Hella lamps do, the $16 Chinese don't, the rest..???

>3.Are they street-legal in California or anywhere?

The Vision Plus are. The true H4s are not U.S.DOT. approved due to the lack of alignment tabs and the very sharp focus.

>4.Do they all have a high and low beam?

yes

>5. Are they worth having?

YES YES YES!!!

>6.And are they worth the risk of a summons?

I've run various types for years and have never had a problem. As long as there are lights at all you're ok with most inspectors.

>The following prices are for a pair of 7" H4 headlights to the best of my >knowledge. Why such a difference?

Just like the prices or rebuilt engines, the price of the lamps will vary with manufacturer. German Hella kits will run much more than the Chinese knock-offs. I've paid $50 each for the really high quality kits and $20/pair for the cheapies. The $20 kits were not worth my time to install. The $50 were overpriced but of far superior quality, with crystal lenses, silicone boots, quality bulbs and perfect fit. The $20 kits didn't fit well, had hard plastic boots, brittle glass, cheap (burned off in 2 days) reflectors, etc...

Chris Smith