Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:56:40 -0400
From:         Eric Nettles <enettles@CENTERSTAGE.ORG>
Subject:      Epic Journeys (Long... Frustrating)

I am also having two problems that other people have mentioned...

1) A well bled cooling system that used to never even get halfway now rides a bit higher, is prone to overheating, and generally scary to drive. Is it just the difference between the green stuff I used to use and the new orange stuff? 2) Now that I've switched to the proper coolant, the coolant level sensor doesn't register the fluid level properly. New Sensor needed? Just take it out and brush it off?

Keep reading for the story on how it happened ; )

A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I had just packed our 4-5 day packs and picked up a new can of butane for the camp stove. We were headed off from her new place in Greensboro, NC to go backpacking in the Smokies. Unfortunately, about fifteen miles out of town I got a coolant warning light and when I checked found that I was experiencing "catastrophic" head gasket failure. SIGH!

So I filled it up with the remaining green stuff I had... (Yup, I knew it was coming... The PO had used the stuff and the last time I changed coolant was before I knew of this AMAZING list) and attempted to get home. Well, stopped one more time and added a gallon of water before getting it home, certainly ruling out hopes of a trip to the mountains.

So, I began to take things apart, my first foray into engine work of this kind, (having only done simpler things like water pumps and alternators and steering racks I was a little bit nervous). I had to do it myself, I was in NC, supposed to be on my way to FL in 5 days, and then to drive from FL to my new address here in MD, but not a mechanic in town would touch it. The one guy that knew how to said that he wouldn't do it because it cost the same and was less frustrating to put a new engine into the car. I knew that that wasn't entirely the case because it was also time to do things like replace hoses. Dealership? HahaHAhahahahaha...

Well, since I was working very intimately with Mr. Murphy, luck decided to teach me about cylinder sleeves coming off with the heads. I called around and around, couldn't even get anyone to put the SLEEVES back on for me! About to have to scrap my van, I called Ken Wilford, (having already ordered via overnight and 2day an almost complete kit of hoses) wondering about getting a ring compressor. The man saved the day for me... In fact I will say that as far as my van goes, I simply wouldn't have one today if he wasn't there that afternoon. Mr. Wilford told me to use a hose clamp to go around the rings and tighten it down to the point that the rings were compressed, and then use the sleeve to push the clamp off of the back of the piston. It worked like a charm, and suddenly there was hope! (Actually I was having a LOT of fun getting so far into my engine at this point) As I scrubbed my old heads I began to find evidence of a little cracking, and so out went an order to the busdepot, overnight of course, for rebuilt heads. Doh, forgot to ask for the listmember discount, oh well... But I did remember when I ordered that engine gasket kit...(2 Day Priority?) which I noticed didn't have a gasket for the oil cooler in it, which of course was the only one from which I leaked oil... but anyway!

Hoses, gaskets, heads arrived. My engine looked clean enough to eat off of. I did not. The girlfriend began to hate the smell of gojo... I got more bloody and banged up (2 good scars from this job!) and the engine went back together remarkably quickly. Got everything on, together, and in, and took her down to have that place I snapped the collector pipe welded, and the guy even threw in a real tailpipe... (first time I'd ever seen one on my van!) What a day...

But I noticed... This orange stuff doesn't seem to cool as well as the green? And hey, the coolant level sensor doesn't seem to sense coolant with this stuff either. (Solved that problem, shorted out the connector... no blinky light!) Hrm... Well.... After extensive bleeding (cooling system, the knuckles were beginning to heal by this time) I set out for Florida... Cruised along comfortably into South Carolina, although suffering a little from WAY overfilled expansion and collection tanks, no real troubles. Even through most of South Carolina (at who knows what speed since I didn't have a speedo cable yet) right until Hilton Head. Looked in the rear view mirror to see lots of smoke billowing. Pulled into a gas station some time around 2am. The owner of the gas station happened to be driving by, seemed to be a little scared that there was a vehicle spewing so much smoke from the back, right next to his gas pumps... Told me there were fire extinguishers inside... looked generally very concerned, as if he felt he were sitting on top of a large bomb and I were a crazy and sleepy-eyed loon holding the detonator.

Well, it was just coolant, Yup, that expensive orange stuff... (Good thing I bought a whole case). I looked underneath and lo and behold, a heater hose had broken free of its 13 year old nylon ties, and fallen into the drive axle, where it got caught up, tore the CV boot, and then ruptured...(Catastrophic comes to mind again?). Simple enough, I thought, thinking I would just rout the remaining heater hose from the coolant distributor on the driver's side to the collector on the passenger side...

Until the years old plastic collector shattered in my hand... at 3am on a saturday night. Well, it was either try to make something out of pipe fittings from Wal-Mart or call AAA... It'd already been a long day so I opted for the tow. Of course 6 hours later, Bubba finally showed up with his tow truck, for some reason with a cab full of passengers, so I spent Sunday (my birthday) in the van with half of my worldly possessions on top of the flatbed.. Every time Bubba whizzed by a state trooper on our long journey to Florida, his fear was evident and I could smell the sweat on his brow. At least we didn't get arrested.

We arrived in Florida, Bubba charged about $150 more than the AAA stated the cost would be, I replaced the heater hoses, and a new coolant distributor was installed. The system bled again, and hopefully all would be ready for the ensuing trip to Maryland.

Of course not. She overheated twice on the way back to Greensboro where I picked up the other half of my worldly possessions, and when I left there the van was only good for 30-45 minutes a hop before the bubbling whistle of my now VERY expensive coolant pressure cooker returned.

So before I even made it into Virginia I stopped and got my radiator cleaned out, just had the guy rod the junk out of it, he of course charged $18 for a gallon of the red juice. Thought all was well, but instead the time to overheat was simply lengthened to about 45-60 minutes. There went another couple of Franklins. Eeep. I continued bleeding the system at every overheat, every stop for gas, and made it into Baltimore about 14 hours late for my first day of work. Had to go to DC the other day for business, and it looked like everything was going great, until traffic went from a crisp 70 in the slow lane to a sudden standstill. Took less than two minutes to overheat. Fifteen minutes later, back on the road again, but can't seem to get any more air out of the system.

I'm at a loss. Dunno if this still sounds like a bleeding problem and I need to give it more RPMs or if new heads can make the engine hotter or if its the coolant or something else entirely. I've already got $2000 into the problem, and at an $85 a week salary I can hardly afford the minimum on the card, let alone drop a whole lot more into it.

Does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks, Eric

87 Wolfsburg (Maybe unnamed is the root of my troubles?)