Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:47:43 -0400
From:         Bob O'Shaughnessy <vanagon@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      A new thing to worry about

I'm a few weeks behind on posting this, but this the first chance I've gotten, as house and birth prep have kept me plenty busy.

Two weeks ago on a Saturday, I packed the wife and kid in the van for our weekly trip to Home Depot or Lowe's, I can't remember, and for the first time in this van's history, it didn't start in one crank.

RRRRR, RRR ,rrrr and I let up. Luckily I had opened the window, so I heard the splash on the driveway under the engine.

Then I smelled the gas.

Everyone out, where's the fire extinguisher? Unhook the battery. My wife swears I said "Kiss the van goodbye" as I was rushing around and they were standing apprehensively next to the Jetta.

Luckily, there was no fire.

What had happened was something that had never occurred to me before as a possibility: The fuel injector rail/distributor connected to the injectors and supply/return lines as a cap on the end of it. That cap is held on by a nice metal clamp, pressed in place by the factory. The clamp had rusted away, and trying to start the van shot the cap out and fuel followed. Nicely, both of these point right at a nice, hot exhaust pipe, so if this had happened at speed, or anywhere once the van was warmed up, poof!

It took the dealer a week and a half and $46 to get me one so I could get up and running. I've got two more on backorder at the BusDepot at $25 apiece.

This is a good thing to add on to your safety inspection list, and a good item to replace when you do your fuel lines.

Bob O'Shaughnessy, Columbus, OH vanagon@columbus.rr.com 99 A3 Jetta TDI 85GL with basic Westy interior 74 Bus (Dad's) 72 Wife, 94 Rabbit, 95 Cat, 96 cat, 98 Kid 11/00 Kid! 52 House