Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Sep 2000 23:40:31 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      question on thermostat housing for 1.9 liter--pricey?

Turns out I need the upper thermostat housing for my 1.9 liter 1983.5 Vanagon as well as a water pump. I see one list vendor has the upper thermostat housing for $225 which of course means it would cost more at the VW dealer. I see another vendor has the upper thermostat housing for the later 86-91 Vaangon for $11.95 but none listed for the 1.9 liter.

I assume the later Vanagon uses a different housing than the early 1.9 liters. But anyone who has knowledge of these housings please share your advice or even sympathy (i.e. " I just had to buy one and it cost me over $200."). My guess is locating a good used housing will be difficult to find and will take more time than I have.

My upper thermostat housing is part number 025 021 117 and maybe there is a suffix C. I may have the middle three digits wrong as they have been dented and are somewhat illegible. It is aluminumn and in a non-vanagon world would retail for about $35. But this is the Vanagon world isn't it.

Mine BTW was all gooped up and glued by the DPO. And while it worked OK--meaning it didn't leak--I wouldn't dare reinstall it. In fact one of the bolts that holds it to the water pump is fused to the housing with I don't know what, but won't budge. The bolt snapped and the shaft is still fused into the thermostat housing--although everything is out of the bus right now.

TIA Jeff 83.5 Westy