Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:56:16 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heaters in Vanagons

I had a '68 Bus in Alaska that I drove for a lot of years. Gave good service, handled well in the snow, always started on coldest days....but for the very coldest I had a good block heater....actually a type of oil pan heater. At the time they were really good element heaters and were available to install at the oil screen. The nuts holding the screen in place also held the heater. If I forgot to plug it in at night...she would not start, but if I plugged it in not a problem. So far as "Cabin Heat" was concerned I found the heater system off the engine to be woefully inadequate. Even those few people I knew that had gas heaters had problems with heating, mainly because in our kind of winters the heaters were twitchy and prone to not lighting off. I solved my problem of heat by installing a propane tank that fit under the van, like a Westy tank, and putting a Suburban propane heater in the van on the floor behind the drivers seat. The combustion air intake and exhaust was through the side of the van. It was a 30,000 btu unit, had electric ignition, and the thermostat was mounted on the door post slightly above

ear level behind the drivers seat. I used the type that had an OFF position. That way the thing could be shut completely down. Yet be ready

to go on a moments notice. I often would pull into a place and stop, turn the thermostat to off, and get out and go about my business. The flame would be out, but the fan would continue to run for a few minutes to cool down and clear out unburned fumes and fuel. Then it would shut off. That

heater was wonderful. In ten minutes on the coldest days you could begin

to melt the snow off the van....from the inside. I put a bench over the heart on the floor just to protect it and have a place to sit or put things. I had no middle seat to worry with. I had often thought about putting a timer on it to turn it on 15 to twenty minutes before I would begin a drive, like before going to work in the morning, or just before getting off work in the evening.

I had an 85GL for a number of years in Alaska after the '68 Bus. The newer oil pan heaters were worthless on the Vanagon. Simply didn't fit right. I had one, and it did some good, but on really cold days it was marginal at best. And there were a few days when I simply gave up and stayed home...to cold to start.

So far as interior heat was concerned, though I never used one, there were times when it would have been really nice to have had the Suburban

heater installed. The extra heat would have made travel a bit more pleseant. Especially if it was a day to be in the cold or snow......snowshowing or X-country Skiing. Getting back into the van with the Suburban running would have been especially nice.

I now drive an 88GL. It's plenty adequate here in the soulth in winter, but if I decide to go back north, I will install a Suburban on the floor

before I go. And put a tank heater into the cooling system somewhere.

One thing about having the propane heater....in winter, if you have a problem and have to spend the night out somewhere...the propane heater could be a lifesaver. For example, there are stretches of hiway in Alaska between towns where there is absolutely nothing but wilderness for miles and miles and miles. Break down or get caught by weather and you are in deep Do-Do!!

A couple of years ago there were many avalanches along the the Seward Highway between Anchorage and Seward...very mountainous. They trapped several cars in one area. Someone had a VW Bus.....with gas and propane heat, and everyone got very cozy with the owner of the van before they were rescued two or three days later. I guess all the bodies in the van combind to reduce the fuel demand on the heaters so they got extra days from the fuel supply. It seems to prove the old theory....two in a sleeping bag can sleep warmer than one alone. Keep that in mind on your next winter camping trip Boy's and Girl's!!

One more thing, if you ever go the route I did and install a Suburban or

similiar like I did, you need to install a deep cycle auxillary battery....marine type...to provide power for more than just a few hours. The draw on the standard car battery will pull it down in just about 2 hours to the point it won't work well, then it may shut off. A deep cycle will allow it to run until next day. I never did do it. But will for sure next time around.

John Rodgers 88GL Driver In Birmingham, AL where for a couple of days I have for a bit had to have the heater on in the early morning driving hours.