Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:47:27 -0400
From:         John <johnpatt@WARWICK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Kudos for Daryl at AA Transaxle (syncro tranny work)
Comments: To: Tim King <tking_ms@MSN.COM>

Tim King wrote: > > Last year, I had Daryl at AA Transaxle (http://aatransaxle.com) rebuild my > syncro tranny. At the time, I was very glad the list has someone like Daryl > on the list. His work and advice, not to mention his friendly manner were > all first class. > > Fast forward a year. I occasionally had been seeing a minor drip from the > rear diff lock mechanism. I knew repair would be a hassle (just pulling the > vacuum actuator is a major hassle), so I just put it off, and would > occasionally check tranny fluid level to make sure it was OK. At one point, > I decided to mention it to Daryl. I wasn't sure if he'd brush me off and say > something like "they all do that." > > Not even close. He gave me a couple of simple things to check (is the vent > line crimped, is it coming from the CV joint seal <still would require > fixing>, then essentially said, "if it's leaking, I gotta fix it." > > Being local, Daryl gave me the option of bringing the syncro by his shop, or > letting me take it to a mechanic and he'd cover the charge. Seeing as I've > had bad luck with mechanics, I took it directly to Daryl. He even gave me a > ride to work (I got to share his quantum syncro with trannys he was taking > to UPS for VW owners not so lucky to have him local). > > A day later, it was fixed (no drips since!). He had to pull the tranny to > fix a tiny (less than dime-sized) washer behind the diff lock. Apparently > the washer got a little twist in it as he installed it. A lot of work for a > .10 cent part (actually, knowing VW, it was probably about $5), but Daryl > was willing to make it right. It would have been very easy for Daryl to > brush this job off (Hey, it's a VW, they all leak), but his willingness to > take on so much work to make such a minor problem right shows what a > first-class business he runs. > > Thanks Daryl! > > Tim King > Seattle WA > 87 Syncro Westy

Hi List,

Ya ever notice when you hear something about Daryl of AA or Bob at Boston engine it's positive and praiseworthy? The list membership is fortunate to have such talented powertrain experts available. When the time comes(and it will come), we should forget outfits like GEX and the Parts Place and only do our major powertrain component business with these guys!

Regards, John