Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Sep 2000 17:30:33 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      aux batt again

> I don't think it's a good idea to use the stock frig relay to > charge the aux. battery. > Reasons: > 1. It draws its current from the dash. So it has to compete > with all the other users in the dash/fuse panel. > When one turns on the headlights, fans, wipers, etc., the > voltage can get pretty low there. Voltage can go down to below 12.5. > That's not enough to re-charge a battery, especially with the small > wires used, even if it's not necessarily dangerous, since as Beckett > told us, a battery is a "passive user". > At the main batttery terminal, the voltage usually stays around 14 volts. > Much better for charging the aux. battery.

Though many List Members have hooked up their aux battery this way and have been satisfied... (guess it may depend on how much you use your power accessories up front and how fast you want to charge the aux battery), it is a Very good point that you bring up..... amazing how new points keep coming up even though we have discussed this aux battery thing to death.. it would seem.

> 2. Just leave the frig relay as is. Put in a second relay, and run a > wire directly to the main battery. I once wrote up some instructions > on "how-to" install that. (See the vanagon list archives) > I think even the "minimal" Hella kit is better than using the stock > frig relay. imho.

Well... not sure what the instructions on the Hella Kit are... but if it calls for running one of their small wires from the plus post of the starter battery rather than the main fuse panel... then that would over come your objection in #1 above... But... the Hella Kit does not lock on that idea... it would be even easier to just run the wire to the existing 'fridge relay' (no 2nd relay needed) and not bother with ordering, waiting for, and paying for the Hella Kit...

Either the Hella Kit or the Existing 'fridge relay' can be wired directly from the starter battery... So the question was... what are the advantages of the Hella Kit, if any... still waiting to see one :)

> 3. About your question about starting from the aux battery: > Do you mean starting the engine? If that's what you mean, the > Hella kit wouldn't be sufficient for that at all. > If you want to use the aux. battery to start the car, you would > have to use massive wires. That's another whole story. > One simple solution is to carry a small section of jumper cable, > and connect both plus terminals on the aux. and main batteries, > if needed. With a good aux. battery charging system, you will > never deplete the driving battery. In the 14 years that I've used > aux. batteries in vanagons, I've never had to use the short section > of jumper cable I used to carry, and now threw away.

Well, Harald.... you know what the means! :) Should we call AAA for you now or later :)

Bill