Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:58:58 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Re: O2 vs. H2O and HEAT?

Having had VW vans for the last 16 years I can only give my impressions:

Julio T wrote: > What system is really the easier one to > work on? Also which system is the cheapest to > maintain, cost of parts, etc... While the age and condition of the van are paramount; the air cooled, being simpler, is probably easier and cheaper to maintain. But remember: maintenance history rules in used Vanagons. >With those of you driving air-cooled vanagons, how are they in the > winter? Do they start up easy? In my experience they were equal here; although the '81 GL did require a replacement starter at about 80K and my '91 Caravelle is still on its original at 156K. > Does this happen with the fuel injected air-cooled engines? NO. >And last but not least, how does the heater system work in an air-cooled van? Think of how your Beetle heater worked and multiply the engine by 1.5 and the space by about five. >Did all vans come with heat or is it an aftermarket thing? Air cooled vans (pre-83.5) had a gasoline auxiallary heater as an option. How well, fast does it heatthe van? IMHO the gas heater was sufficient and without it the van was cold and I live in Southern Ohio where we don't usually get the real Mid-West winters here.

I have seen the following advice on the list and would agree: Buy the latest and best maintained van you can afford. -- Stephen Steele '91 Caravelle

[text/html]