Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:24:40 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Oil pressures in 1.9? Daily driving a Westy?

Listees: In my search for a camper-only Westy vanagon I have been looking at several 1.9 Westies and have a question re: oil pressures. In an engine with over 125K miles, what would be acceptable oil pressure at idle and at fairly high ambient temperatures? And... at cruising speeds...60mph? The latest thread about acceptable oil pressures for driving around town vs. long trips has me concerned, particularly if I must travel to Westy rich areas to find mine. After tentatively convincing the wife that we really need another van to feed, bathe, store, insure and care for, I don't cherish the idea of phoning her from five miles outside of Podunksville and telling her the new Westy I am bringing home is down and out. Her solution is to sell the Caravelle and buy a newish ("buy the latest and best maintained I can afford") Westy as an allpurpose vehicle. I really shy from that because "Hans" is so completely reliable and I hate the idea of parting with him. On her side of the argument is that in my experience, vehicles which are driven regularly tend to perform better and lead longer more productive lives ( unlike my '74 MGB). How many of you use a Westy as a daily driver and any idiosyncracies with them as such? TIA. -- Stephen Steele '91 Caravelle (Hans) Chiilicothe, OH