Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Sep 2000 19:36:33 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Short Shift Kit Info If you do not Have One

> For the sake of me any other list member who is interested in this, can > someone explain and put pictures up of what this thing is and how it works?

basically, it is a short platform that elevates the pivot point of the shift lever (at the bottom). by raising the pivot point, you shorten the distance the top of the lever (shift knob) has to travel ... most noticeable when shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.

the short shift kit consists of a cast aluminum plate-thingie. and a couple of bolts. and a drill bit. you remove the shift lever and the plate at the bottom of the lever. now install the cast aluminum plate-thingie and secure it with the two bolts. now you drill a dimple into the shift lever and move the collar that holds a spring (which is already there). the collar just moves up about an inch or so, and needs a new dimple for the set screw that keeps the collar in place. then you bolt the lever and plate (using the original two bolts that came out with the plate) on top of the cast aluminum plate-thingie. and you're done.

now for the Gotcha: :) if you don't mark the position of the bolts (on the vw plate at the bottom of the shift lever), you might have a lot of trouble getting the shifting to feel right ... a small mis-adjustment of those two bolts can cause a lot of trouble with the shift linkage.

but if you follow the short shift kit directions carefully and faithfully, you shouldn't have any trouble. it's definitely worth the money.

joel