Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Oct 2000 14:44:47 -0700
From:         "MOST,DAVID" <most@UCLA.EDU>
Subject:      takes too long to warm up

On my recently acquired '85, the engine temp. gauge seems to take a good 15-20 minutes to warm up. I haven't used the vehicle much altogether, so my data are limited, but I'm wondering if there are any thoughts out there on what might cause this.

My first guess would be the lack of a thermostat (or one stuck open - does this happen?). I haven't checked this yet due to the more difficult location of the thermostat compared to the '87, and I'd be interested in hearing about any other possible culprits. The gauge stays in the middle once the engine has been run a while, and when idling the low speed fan comes on a little sooner than I'm used to in my '87. This is a subtle difference though. I only thought to question the gauge because, for some reason, the gas gauge doesn't indicate full even when the tank is full. Instead, it indicates just over 3/4 full. I'm not too concerned about this as I tend to use the trip odometer, but any thoughts about this would be appreciated as well. I have no reason to believe that the two gauges are related. Rather, as has often been discussed on the list, a problem displayed by the gauge may be a problem in the gauge/sensor rather than in the device which it is gauging.

Thanks for the help, David