Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:19:18 EDT
From:         Lisa Drew <LisaDrew@AOL.COM>
Subject:      winter tire choice & I got to Fairbanks

I'm interested to read that another Alaska list member wants studs. After much consideration, I've decided on Blizzaks for my winter tires--but I'm new to the state and they may not be the best choice. I now have a new set of WS-15s on my syncro camper, but I've decided after much advice and help from list member Derek Drew (my brother) to switch to Winter Duelers, size 225/70/14. Both types are Blizzaks. I'll be interested to know if anyone on the list has thoughts on this choice. I got my WS-15s from Sears, and I immediately wasn't happy with them because I realized I can't inflate them to the camper's recommended pressures. So Sears knows I want to make a switch and won't charge extra. I'm just waiting for the tires to get here. It may be that I will regret my choice of a studless tire here in a town with one of the longest winters on the planet, but Blizzaks have an excellent reputation here. I drove down a very icy hill (dirt road) the other day, and although braking did bring on small skid episodes, the recovery to traction was instantaneous when I let off the brake. I was impressed. And that was on the less sturdy, slightly smaller WS-15s. (Which by the way are going out of production--another reason to opt for Winter Duelers if you get Blizzaks). On another subject, thanks to those of you who e-mailed me with invitations and offers of support during my x-c trip. The camper performed well; the only incidents were one flat tire (unfortunately directly in the path of a bunch of tired firefighters in Montana on their way back to barracks; I sure felt silly) and a strange case of disappearing coolant that ended up mostly being resolved just recently with a water-pump replacement.

Lisa Drew '87 Syncro Westfalia