Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Oct 2000 20:18:26 -0400
From:         Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Boston Bob s AMC head rantings
Comments: To: kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>

kenneth d lewis wrote: in part are the heads are differant in the 1.9 and the 2.1 waterboxer engines

Kenneth and the list Im not on the list right now but I have been reading it and I have read a couple of threads about the AMC waterboxer heads and wanted to share some thoughts frist its not uncommon for shops and importers to sell just the 2.1 heads and say that they are the same AS 1.9 and thats ok as long as they are replaced in pairs you could even go the other way and use a 1.9 head on a 2.1 but that would be considered a downgrade

the other question I had read was asking what problems there have been with the AMC heads.I strip 2.1 engines every day and some come threw with used AMC heads and those are the only ones I save to reuse. when I remove the springs on the used heads I must file the intake valves at the three grooves in the stem to get them to go threw the valve guide. in some cases the three gooves in the stem are gone and the retainer has moved to the point that the spring pressure is affected. the valves that are installed in the new AMC heads (In this country by the only importer) Suck with that said you should also know that I personaly use 6 to 10 AMC heads a week on long blocks. I have in the past had to fix heads for customers because of the valves stem problems before I started replacing valves. I have for some time changed the valves in every head I install as does AVP. the AMC heads are a much beter casting and have a less corrosive alloy. I have had no other problems with them other than when shops install the exhaust system with a 8x25 bolt and a flat washer its just to short and it strips the thread in the head. a 8x30 with a flat washer is a must I currently have pair of used AMC heads at a local shop with a flow bench to see if we can improve the flow. I am also testing a differant cam grind using reground stock cams that have more duration. stock cams are much harder than aftermarket cams and are much less likely to fail I hope to offer these as upgrades in the near future on my rebuilt engines. I will keep the list posted as to when this will be offered. for now please dont call or email me to discuss the upgrades I wont have anything to say. Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com