Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:37:12 -0500
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      The tale of the 3 cyl bus
Comments: To: dbginfo <dbginfo@egroups.com>

Oh what a week, Last Friday started a (almost) great weekend, nice long cruise from Chicago to Upper Kettle Moraine area in Wisconsin. Traffic leaving work on a Friday afternoon was the usual horrible mess, but once the Wisconsin border passed by the drive got rather pleasant. A 30-40mph tail wind lent to a very leisurely 75mph cruise north. When cruising through Milwaukee I noticed that there didn't seem to be as much power as normal for my '82 westy, but once I was out of town she picked right back up. Friday night was spent with good friends and great beer (2 kegs of different New Glarus Beers.. WOW!!) around the campfire. Saturday morning came much too early. The drive to the caravan and shop tour was tough. The bus didn't seem to have any power, as if one of the plugs were fouled. A quick mental note to look at it sometime Sunday, and back to camp we went. Saturday night was even better with still more beer, more friends, and even an audience for a recently resurrected guitar playing stint. I know the beer was good since many folks wanted me to keep playing :-) Sunday arrived, breakfast was cooked and we all decided to say our goodbyes and hit the road. It was then I remembered to look into the slight miss from the engine. To make a long diagnosis short, #4 cylinder has no compression at all. Probably a burnt piston, but as of yet I haven't had a chance to pull the engine. The drive south was into a head wind equal to the tailwind on the ride north. I was shocked that it was able to hold 60mph on most of the way home. Near Chicago the traffic was bumper to bumper, and the bus was just not up to the task. Deciding that it may be a good idea to try and save as much of the engine as possible, I pulled over in the Lake Forest Oasis and called AAA for my 65mile tow home. Since the Westy was the only running car in the stable, I called my boss to let him know that I might not be in for a couple of days while I got my car situation straitened out. On monday I was forced to work on my Cherokee. New front axle u-joints and a totally new braking system sounded easier than trying to rebuild a type 4. It took 2 days to get the jeep done, but at least I was able to make it into work Since driving the Jeep there have been a few things I miss: Waiving at the rare air-cooled driver on the tollway. Being high up enough to enjoy 1/2 of the other drivers ( a guy thing, so shoot me) The purr of a well tuned type 4 motor my CD player The general "coolness factor" of a type 2 my fridge

Oh well, I guess it beats walking.

Does anyone (still awake after reading this) know if it is easier to just drop the motor and tranny on a type 4 Vanagon and work on the engine on the ground still connected to the tranny or should I plan on splitting them in the bus and just remove the engine.

Chris Smith '74 Thing '82 Westy some cars that run as well

Der Busbebroken Das Enginekaputen