Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Oct 2000 09:19:27 -0700
From:         Christopher Gronski <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Shipping big and/or heavy stuff on eBay - Forwardair is the best
Comments: To: vbob@PRIMENET.COM, Puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM

When I sell big and/or heavy stuff on ebay I use www.forwardair.com, I shipped a pool table from Toronto to Los Angeles for around $70 when FEDEX was $700 (YES, TEN TIMES AS MUCH). The only downside is that they only ship to hubs so if you're not nearby one you're out of luck. Usually in my ads I will put text to the effect of:

Will ship via forward air, weight is $X, dimensions are $X by $X by $X, crating and shipping to forwardair's location is $X. Call them for a quote to your nearest terminal. Foreign buyers may incur duty charges and local taxes.

Then I give the pool table example and forwardair's map and be done with it. If you've got an item a lot of people are interested in its imposible to get custom shipping quotes for everyone who e-mail's you.

On the other side of the coin it drives me NUTS when people try to gouge me on shipping (I am NOT saying you were doing that Adam). I've had people charge $15 for shipping and when you get the item it has $5 worth of postage on it, the other $10 is for "handling". Just my $0.02.

Thanks, Chris Gronski '80 Westy "Pokey" '87 Chevrolet Sprint (Ice Racer) '91 Pontiac Firefly Conv.