Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:46:47 -0600
From:         Gary Lee <gary2a@TELUSPLANET.NET>
Subject:      Re: change in plans, California (and Mexico) Dreaming

"Gregory W. Baskin" wrote:

Sorry I can't help you, Christa, but it does bring up a question for the group: I, too, have dreamed of "Westying" through Baja but was told recently by my just-purchased ex-owner that this isn't a great idea to do in a water-cooled. He said the only parts available down there are for the air-cooled.

After many trips in Baja using various vehicles I have the following observations: Baja is a sparsely populated area, parts for any vehicle are not common. I did however buy a ring compressor, rings, head gasket and front shocks for my 82 diesel westy in Cabo San Lucas once. All parts were in stock also. I was going to re-ring it, but decided to just leave it and get home to LA, it took about 30 liters of oil for the trip back.

If I were to choose a vehicle based on availability of parts and service in Baja, I don't know what I would buy. The only VW buses (air or water) I saw on the roads down there (Baja) were driven by Americans. The Mexicans drive all kinds of cars, they don't seem worried. You can get anything part ordered from the states if you need. There are FLAPS type stores in baja, but last time I was there no VW dealer.

My diesel vanagon timing belt broke on I15 near Parowan Utah once. I tried for 3 days to get a new head out of SLC, LV and LA but for whatever reason could not get one. In the end I towed it home. So you can run into trouble wherever you are.

Gary Lee Calgary, Canada