Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Oct 2000 02:26:59 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1990 waterboxer heads - a popular topic....

At 01:39 10/7/2000, Bill Davidson wrote: >Actually, I don't remember the details but some posted the industry(?) >definitions for the definitions/labels of remanufactured and rebuilt a year >or two ago and I seem to remember that term remanufactured was surprizingly >deceptive in that it was a lesser standard than rebuilt... I think... but >could be wrong.... but it's definately not new.

I did the research...in heavy industry, "rebuilt" means "made more-or-less as good as new" and "remanufactured" means "rebuilt and additional features added to bring it up to the current specs, i.e. better than new."

In automotive parts, the terms have a legal meaning, and it is the same. Rebuilt = remanufactured = cleaned and de-rusted inside and out, inspected and worn-*out* parts replaced, but not necessarily parts that are only somewhat worn. Individuals or companies may choose to make or imply a distinction but legally there is none. Incidentally, the legal meaning of "factory rebuilt" is that the part was rebuilt in a factory that rebuilds things. No implication whatever that it has any relationship at all to the factory or company that originally built the part. These are Federal regulations (16 CFR 20.3), and the US Auto Parts Rebuilders Association has gone on record that the two terms mean the same thing.

If anyone wants the post with the whole enchilada, look in the archives on 14 July 1999 or ask me to send it to you -- gerry threw up when I sent the whole thing to the list.

david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"