Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Oct 2000 10:14:30 -0700
From:         Mark & Kate Sheflo <skjeflo@TELEBYTE.NET>
Subject:      Re: air-cooled vanagon question
Comments: To: Puzerewski <Puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

Adam, Acceleration? In heavy air-cooled box with 67 HP? Your kidding, right? I consider it slow when I compare it to almost anything else on the road (except my in-laws diesel 7 passenger Vanagon, which would be a good race). My personal points of comparison have been a Volvo 164E, a 88 Ford Festiva, a 90 Mazda 323, a Volvo 850, a 97 Camry (4 cyl), a 88 Toyota pickup, and a few early 70's Opels. ANY of these would blow the doors off the Westy in a race to ANY speed. Yes, even the Festiva, but not by too much!

Seriously, I've seen 80mph on a slight downhill and can cruise at 70 on a level road if there is NO headwind. Beyond that speed just ain't happening.

The way I look at it when driving the Westy is, it's not how fast you get there, it's the fun you have doing so and the fun you have when you there that counts.

Mark 82 Westy