Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Oct 2000 16:27:09 -0400
From:         Jason Gorfine <jgorfine@VT.EDU>
Subject:      Body Work Suggestions (metal cutting)
Comments: To: Type II <type2@type2.com>

years back, i was at the marina with my grandfather (the original owner of my 82 Vanagon Westfalia) when we watched a 60+ foot sailing yacht miss its berth and send its bowsprit directly into the right rear quarter-panel of the van. there was no structural damage done to the van, it just made a mess of the fender and deformed the outer portion of the sliding door. the boat also pushed the van more than two feet to the left. the captain of the vessel offered my grandfather a huge amount of cash on the spot (from the safe in his quarters), in exchange for no call to the insurance company. my grandfather had a some sucky-suck body shop pull out the dents as best they could and bond-o the fender into something like the original shape (he pocketed the remaining $$$$). they did a bad job on everything but the sliding door. i protested, but he said, "As long as the overall mechanics of this machine function well, I don't give a good goddamn how it looks son."

well, it's mine now. so onto the questions:

1. are the replacement body panels that are available (west coast metric, bus depot, etc.) of high quality/worth purchasing new or should i have the same piece cut off an unharmed junker?

2. what sort of cutting/welding work needs to be done (specifically if anyone knows) and what qualifications should i look for in the person doing it?

3. does anyone know where i could find an undamaged, rust-free Assuan Brown (the prettiest color ever) sliding door? if worst comes to worst, i'll settle for a good door that's a different color.

thanks in advance jason

ps-is it really true that there are only four 16" synchro wheels left in the whole world? i'd been saving up for awhile and i'd been planning to sell the 5 alloys that i'd purchased for mine