Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Oct 2000 21:46:37 -0400
From:         James Creech <jacreech@VISUALLINK.COM>
Subject:      87 Westy dash controls

My Vanagon was a recent gift but it endured a front-end collision and some shoddy body shop work before I owned it - one result of which is some missing components on the outside and inside of the dash. With the Bentley manual and some helpful info from various websites and this mailing list I've managed to figure out a good bit of what goes where. However, I wonder if any of you wise owners can tell me:

(1) How the warm air (front heater) blower fan control switch attaches? If it is like the auxilliary heater fan switch, (which survived the accident intact), I'm guessing it attaches with 4 corner plastic tabs to the back of the heater slide control face plate, fitting into the cutout hole in the dash beneath the face plate. Is that correct? Or is it attached only to the hole in the dash (the cutout in the dash is a bit bent and I don't know if it is in the original shape or size)?

(2) None of my dash control lights survived - only a few hanging wires (it appears from Bentley, blue/white for (+) power supply and brown for (-). But I have no idea where and how the lights attach. How many are there, where do they go, and how do they attach?

I managed to straighten out the heater control (4 sliders) which was badly bent, and it actually works! Amazingly, the heater itself also works, though one would think it sits in a vulnerable position for a front-end wreck. But these various electrical dash gizmos don't seem to appear with much pictured detail anywhere I have yet looked.

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Jim Creech 87 Vanagon GL Westfalia

[text/html]