Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Oct 2000 22:05:09 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <mejoe100@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Clean van...
Comments: To: Mark Mages <wasserbox@YAHOO.COM>

Speaking as one who never did any mech work until getting my 83.5 Westy and having gone through the stark terror of seeing "coolant on the driveway" for a number of years until the left head finally WAS the cause followed a year later by the right head failing I can honestly tell you that if you can successfully change out your water pump you need have no fear of the head gasket problem. Doing BOTH heads cost me about $200 and would have been even less had I not snapped a couple of bolts flush and had to pay a machine shop $15 each to get them out. Get the "Boston Engine" article from Vanagon.com. That, the Bentley, and a few hints from some of the good folks here on the list is about all the instruction I needed. The job is a BIG PITA but it just aint that complicated nor that expensive if you do it yourself. Sleep well.

I spent a few hours cleaning out my van yesterday. Yes, I am lazy... well, not lazy exactly - just busy. I have approximately 16 hrs/week free time that is not involved in sleep. It is the first time it has been cleaned (thoroughly) in a year and a half, and six months at least since the last general cleaning.

I found the screwdriver that has been rolling around for a month, some very interesting marshmallows, etc...

FWIW - Simple Green ROCKS! I got the bacon grease out of the carpet, and the Junior Mints out of the upholstery (damn ex girlfriends)

What I added - StonGard headlight protectors ($25)

What I am getting later in the week - Sherwood Digital 5.1 surround processor, Sherwood CD head unit, and a 6 channel amp to power it all. Total cost - $225. This will replace the tired Panasonic tape deck & 8 disc changer. I also have a 6.25" component system to replace the front 6.5" coax speakers.

What I am looking into - BusDepots Boge lowering kit. I have a call in to find out about compatibility with Westies, and longevity prospects. The KYB's in the rear are going out after only a year, so hopefully this will clear up a little leaning too.

And now - a word on paranoia and VW's.

I have become so paranoid since I have started driving VWs, and it is all my vanagons fault. Well, my vanagon and this damn list. Every time I see a drop of coolant hit the ground, I start worrying about cylinder heads, and the like. Last year - lots of coolant on the ground. Cause - bad waterpump ($40). 6 months ago - lots of coolant on the ground. Cause - bad temp sender O-ring ($15). Last week - coolant on the ground. Cause - slightly corroded 6 inch water hose($20).

Every time I see the coolant on the ground, I start freaking out and wondering what I will have to put into hock to get my van running again.

So, thanks... thanks a lot.. :)

===== Mark Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean that anyone wants to hear it

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/